Recipe wanted for hazelnuts

1buzemum, Jun 6, 3:08am
We have discovered we have a hazelnut tree, so we have some nuts all dried that we have just been shelling and eating plain, does anyone have any yummy recipes I could try with them

indy95, Jun 6, 3:20am
1buzemum, if you type hazelnuts as the keyword in the search box on the left of the screen and last year in the date posted slot you will find a whole page of threads featuring recipes to choose from. How lucky you are to have a hazelnut tree !

245sam, Jun 6, 3:20am
How about some Dukkah, 1buzemum!

DUKKAH WITH HAZELNUTS
1 tbsp each ofcoriander seedsandcumin seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ cup hazelnuts, toasted
1 x 70g packet blanched almonds, toasted
¼ tsp each ofsaltandpaprika
a good pinch chilli powder, or more for a spicier mix

Scatter the coriander, cumin and sesame seeds over the base of a small, heavy-based frying pan.Stir over a medium heat until the sesame seeds are toasted and aromatic.Transfer to a plate to cool.
Remove as many of the hazelnut skins as possible by placing them in the middle of a clean teatowel, then draw up the edges of the teatowel to enclose.Holding the bundle in one hand, rub with the other hand.Discard the skins.
Place all the ingredients in a food processor.Pulse until the mixture resemble fine breadcrumbs.
Makes 1¼ cups.

Just in case you're not sure/don't know, here's some info' that you may find useful.

Dukkah is best stored in the refrigerator and used within 3 months but it will be ok beyond that time – it may gradually lose some of its flavour though.

The most commonly known way of serving Dukkah is to serve it in shallow bowls. Pieces of good, firm, crusty bread are then dipped in olive oil (warmed or cold), then in the Dukkah, and eaten as a snack or part of a meal.
Dukkah’s other uses are:
Flavouring for salads (it really livens an otherwise plain basic/lettuce or green salad), soups, and plainly cooked vegetables e.g. sprinkle it over potatoes, green beans, or other cooked vegetables which would be improved by its added colour, flavour and texture.
Sprinkle on cubed or sliced raw tomato or cucumber for an easy salad.Dukkah can also be used in the same way as breadcrumbs for coating chicken and fish – but care must be taken to ensure that the coating does not burn before the meat/fish is cooked.

Hope that helps.:-))

kateley, Jun 6, 3:21am
you can put them in self saucing choc pud to make it even more delicious

1buzemum, Jun 6, 3:24am
Thanks everyone

Yes Indy I was very excited when we found it and also horrified that I claimed it to be ugly and let the kids turn it into a play hut.it is now my treasured ugly tree lol

indy95, Jun 6, 3:26am
Oh darn it, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't seen this thread. That is a great idea for pudding on a cold miserable day, kateley, but I really don't need the kilojoules.

lx4000, Jun 6, 7:34am
Dutch Apple Cake

125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce
2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves
2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice

Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.

SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.

Add dry ingredients and mix in.

Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.

Bake 180 45 mins