245sam, May 29, 9:05am
joybelle1, this is our favourite.

RHUBARB CUSTARD CRUMBLE
450g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1”) pieces - fresh or frozen

Custard:
3 rounded household tbsp custard powder
85g white sugar
450ml milk

Make a custard with all the ingredients and once it has boiled add the raw rhubarb – the custard will need to be very thick and stodgy. Place the rhubarb and custard mixture into a 1.5-2 litre ovenproof dish, then top the mixture with the
Crumble:
170g flour
85g each of brown sugar and butter or margarine.
Rub the butter into the flour to form a crumby mixture, then mix the brown sugar lightly through.
Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes. :-))

245sam, May 29, 9:10am
2nd favourite which can be a dessert is the following, although we usually enjoy it for breakfast with some yoghurt.

SPICED RHUBARB
500g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp very finely chopped preserved / crystallised ginger
sugar to taste and 2 tbsp water – see note below
Place all the ingredients in an oven proof dish and cover the dish. Cook at 150°C for 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
Note: If the rhubarb is prepared as in the hint below, the 2 tbsp water shouldn’t be needed and neither should the sugar because of the sugar coating on the ginger.

HINT: a now-late friend of my DH's family gave me this tip 30+ years ago.let the rhubarb stand, covered by boiling water, for 5 minutes, then drain that water off - I don't recommend doing this for the Rhubarb Custard Crumble but it sure does work otherwise and I find it to be great especially when making the above Spiced Rhubarb.:-))

cookessentials, May 29, 9:25am
This is our favourite. It is beautiful with Kapati vanilla bean ice-cream

BAKED RHUBARB AND ORANGE SPONGE
1 bunch rhubarb,trimmed and chopped. 1/4 cup firmly packed brownn sugar; 2 tsp grated orange rind; 3 tbsp warmed honey; 60g butter; 1/4 cup caster sugar; 1 egg, lightly beaten; 3/4 cup self raising flour; 1/3 cup milk.
Place rhubarb in buttered ovenproof dish,sprinkle with the brown sugar and half the orange rind and pour over warmed honey. Cream butter with remaining orange rind and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then fold in sifted flour alternatively with the milk. Bake in a pre-heated modeerately hot oven (190C) for about 40 minutes or until golden. Serve hot with custard or cream. I serve it with a good vanilla bean ice-cream.

sooseque, May 29, 10:11am
RHUBARB PIE

150g flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
75g butter
2 TBLSP cold water
450g rhubarb
275g sugar
50g flour
2 eggs beaten
25g butter

Mix flour, baking powder & salt, rub in butter, add water to make a stiff dough, roll out and line pie dish (22 – 24cm) and up the sides.Cut up rhubarb into roughly 3cm pieces and spread in pie dish.Mix sugar & flour and sprinkle over rhubarb, cut up butter and dot over, pour over the beaten eggs evenly.Bake 45 min at 175 C.

elliehen, May 29, 10:28am
SOUR CREAM RHUBARB CAKE

Beat:
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
125 grams butter or margarine

Add & continue beating:
1 egg
1 250 gram pottle sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Sift & stir gently into the above:
2 cups standard flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:
3 cups of chopped RAW rhubarb & stir together till combined - don't over-mix

Bake 180* C for 50 to 55 minutes in a large ring tin

Cream Cheese Icing

Beat till combined:
2 cups icing sugar
1 Tablespoon soft butter
250 grams cream cheese at room temperature (not Lite or 'spreadable')
1 teaspoon lemon juice

nauru, May 30, 1:51am
I like to mixraspberries (frozen if no fresh) with Rhubarb and make crumble or pies. It is also nice on greek yoghurt. A really nice combination.

sarahb5, May 30, 3:21am
Rhubarb and ginger crumble - I sweeten the rhubarb with ginger marmalade instead of sugar and add dried ginger to the crumble mix

kernal1, May 30, 5:58am
Rhubarb triffle! Easy as! Cook your rurbarb,put into bowl, add sponge, tip over a jelly' any flavour but maybe red! Let soak (hr long enough but better if abit longer) then top with custard and cream!
Looks great in glass bowl and assembled beforehand can spend your time cooking mains etc knowing your 'dessert' will impress!

joybelle1, Jun 7, 8:47am
All these recipes sound great!

vinee, Jun 7, 7:09pm
Rhubarb fool.
mix cold cooked rhubarb with whipped cream and icing sugar.
Scrumptious!

bluetigerrr, Jun 8, 6:03am
If you're making anything with rhubarb in a pie, try adding banana . it is the most amazing combination ever!

bev00, Dec 9, 10:26am
This is the one I make, the golden syrup makes the custard sort of caramel tasting - it is ohhh so good! Just divide the filling mix between the tartlet cases

*Rhubarb Custard Pie*
Makes one 9 inch pie
short crust pastry to fill a 9 inch pie dish, or
400g diced rhubarb
(about 3 cups)
100g of caster sugar
(1/2 cup)
2 TBS flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 large free range eggs
6 ounces golden syrup (3/4 cup)
1 TBS butter, melted

Either roll out the pie crust to fit your dish, 1/8 of an inch thick and leaving a one inch overhang, or make the recipe as below. If making shortcrust fold the excess dough under and crimp the edges. Chill for half an hour.

Preheat the oven to 230*C/450*F/gas mark 8.

Place the chopped rhubarb into the prepared pie shell. Whisk together the sugar, cornflour and salt. Mix in the egg, beating it in well, and then stir in the golden syrup and the melted butter. Mix well. Pour this evenly over top of the rhubarb in the prepared shell. Bake in the heated oven for 15 minutes. Decrease the oven heat to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 4 and bake for 30 to 40 more minutes, until the crust is nicely browned and the rhubarb is tender. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool until the pie is firmed up, about 45 minutes, before serving. Delicious!

Quotebjkiwi (340 )12:57 pm, Sat 10 Dec #3

lindylambchops1, Dec 9, 11:03pm
Dates are nice added to rhubarb during the cooking process.

I love rhubarb!

Thanks all for sharing your recipes.

blands70, Dec 10, 12:07am
On the TVNZ/Good Morning website there's a recipe for white chocolate and rhubarb cheesecake. Haven't tried it yet but it looks delicious!