How to cook Trout

sathan81, Jun 10, 8:12am
I was given 2 trout today, i would like to no the best way to cook them, i do remember dad baking in tin foil many moons ago. would u put any lemon etc on it before baking it and for how long! they are whole gutted and deheaded.

speckle77, Jun 10, 8:55am
Got a smoker!

beaker59, Jun 10, 10:06am
Definately smoked is best, but also good in any raw fish recipe. they are OK baked too. If (as they often will be this time of year) they are from Taupo and fat and silver then the best way to eat them is as sushimi, but the fillets are also good seared in a very hot pan and served crispy outside rare inside.

m41, Jun 10, 10:18am
love it smoked or even baked is yummo !

nauru, Jun 10, 10:19am
I put lemon slices inside, season with S & P and dot with butter and a squeeze of lemon juice.Bake in foil in the oven.Also nice pan fried with a sprinkling of flaked almonds.

kuaka, Jun 10, 11:47am
I have never eaten trout, nor cooked it, but this might amuse you.Years ago, my uncle had to teach himself to cook after the sudden death of my aunt.He progressed from mince, to roast dinners and then decided to try trout.He went to the local fishmonger and bought his trout, the fishmonger asked him would he like the head and tail removed, and uncle said "yes please".Then uncle asked how to cook it and how would he know when it was cooked.The fishmonger proceeded to tell him several ways of cooking it, but said "when it's cooked it's eyes turn white, so that's not going to help you now I've cut it's head off".

davidt4, Jun 10, 9:32pm
I didn't think fishmongers were able to sell trout in NZ.

kuaka, Jun 10, 10:20pm
Sorry, I didn't say it was in NZ, uncle lived in Northampton in the UK.

sultana0, Jun 15, 7:57pm
I've baked it in tinfoil, place sliced onions and tomatos on the foil, place the trout on them to stop the bottom burning or drying out. Throw light fresh herbs inside and on top, splot of rosemary infused oil and a little salt and freashly ground pepper. Serve with wilted green vege and fresh crusty bread. Heck grab a nice wine to go with it as well

cgvl, Jun 15, 11:20pm
I salt mine and leave for an hour or two or longer if you can. Wash salt off.
then roll in flour and pan fry yumm, especially if filleted.
whole I would rub with salt and leave in fridge as above, wash salt off then bake in oven. use lemon slices lots of them, a bit of butter or good olive oil, a drizzle of honey and several handfuls of good fish herbs eg dill or I use parsley and thyme.
I love trout just rolled in seasoned flour and pan fried the best though.
Salting the fish and leaving for as long as possible gets rid of the muddy taste that often accompanies trout and other bottom feeder fish.