Feijoa jam WOW

kokopuff, Jun 6, 8:28pm
Made some for the first time yesterday using the aunt daisy recipe, crikey it is so Delicious would highly recommend it. It is very addictive had some on toast for breakfast couldnt stop lol. Lucky for me i got 6 big jars of it.

terachaos, Jun 6, 8:30pm
Please could you post recipe, thanks.

pickles7, Jun 6, 8:49pm
You are lucky, as children I can remember this gritty stuff no one would eat, I wouldn't waste the sugar myself. We all like them stewed though, I freeze them to add with apples over winter.
I did make some very nice feijoa vinegar.
http://makingvinegar.blogspot.co.nz/

herself, Jun 6, 9:10pm
I agree with pickles.Nasty gritty stuff. Total waste of sugar.

kokopuff, Jun 6, 11:55pm
Feijoa Jam
Do not peel the Feijoas. Cut into thin slices. To 5lbs (2.3kg) sliced feijoas add 4 PINTS (7.5C) water. Cook till soft. Add gradually 6lbs (2.7kg) sugar, stirring all the time. Then bring carefully to the boil, still stirring; then fast rolling boil till it will set when tested. Feijos jam must be watched as it jellies quickly.
When it started to cool slightly I used my wizz stick thingie and blended it in the pot before i put it in jars. Tastes better than it looks.

kokopuff, Jun 6, 11:56pm
Yes i agree it is alot of sugar but i love Feijoas and wanted to give it a try. It didnt taste gritty on toast.

susieq9, Jun 7, 2:42am
I make feijoa jam, but only use about half the amount of sugar and the juice of 1 lemon.It still sets. Just love it.

kokopuff, Jun 7, 6:19am
Yeah i didn't want to use that much sugar but being the novice that i am (1st time making jam) i wasn't sure what to do, but the next time i do it prob next year i will definitely try and reduce it.

juliewn, Jun 7, 8:20am
Good for you for making your first batch of jam. enjoy the results. :-)

kokopuff, Jun 7, 9:39am
Thank you juliewn

elliehen, Jun 7, 10:51am
Well done.your whizz idea might have smoothed out the grittiness that pickles didn't like as a child.Everyone has different likes and dislikes, fortunately.

bambi58, Jun 7, 11:23am
Oh I love Feijoa jam! I did Feijoa Jelly once, it was beautiful, but a lot of messing around. The jam doesn't look pretty, but it is so yumm!

kokopuff, Jun 11, 2:52am
Thankyou elliehen. I had some on a sandwich the other day it was so nice. Your right bambi it dosent look the prettiest but it sure is yum.

guest, Jan 11, 8:10am
Brnlliaice for free; your parents must be a sweetheart and a certified genius.

guest, Jan 13, 1:13pm
Hi, Sara! I am working with the Farm to School prgroam in South Carolina, and we're interested in having you make a visit to one of our participating schools in Greenville, S.C. or somewhere else along your route. I sent you an email yesterday to see if you were interested and to see when you think you will be passing through. I know you're on the road, but we would love to hear from you as soon as you can get back to us. Thanks!

guest, Jan 14, 9:50am
Hey Sara! DNC will be in NYC for Spring Break! If you want to meet us you can bunk with me at the Marqui Marriott in Times Square!! Know a liltte out of your way, but what's a few liltte states to you? We are still following and thinking about you. Take care and pedal on!