Brands of free range eggs

bedazzledjewels, Jun 9, 5:16am
What brand do you buy! I've been buying Glenpark for a while, but not any longer after reading this -
http://nontoxicnest.wordpress.com/tag/woodland-eggs/

elliehen, Jun 9, 5:21am
x1
Manuka Hill Free Range eggs from Marlborough (when I can't readily buy them from local people at the edges of town).

bedazzledjewels, Jun 9, 5:24am
Here's the list from Consumer comparing brands of free range eggs -

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/free-range-eggs/brands-compared

jen69, Jun 9, 5:38am
I prefer to buy from local farmers market. Ifthese arent available then I only buy from and support a company than produces solely free range eggs ( so ethically believes in this) e.g. Frends,rather than from an egg company that sellsfree range but also sells battery eggs as part of their egg range. And they taste great.

hezwez, Jun 9, 7:33am
It certainly makes for interesting reading OP. I wish I had my little backyard bantams again. I knew I could trust them.

m41, Jun 9, 8:05am
i have my own chooks and when they are all laying i can`t get enough ppl to spend $5 a doz as they all want them free it cost me $30 an sack for feed and the hay bale they get a few scrapes but eat bugs and grass too it a though one the cost of having them and keeping them when not lay is long and expensive but the eggs are a bonus esp the blue eggs my kidsfight over ,

cookessentials, Jun 9, 8:38am
Our Brand ( The Spice Girl's) Honey, Fudge, the best free range we can get.

shop-a-holic, Jun 9, 9:04am
x1
Pasture Poultry Eggs are the only ones I trust. Pale sunshine yellow yolks = no dyes in food. Also ensures batters and sponges not look like something from Fukushima. They're kinda local for me, as opposed to FRENZ from AKL. Not sure I want to eat something with more airpoints than me :-) lol.

THANK YOU, bedazzledjewels for posting.Certainly raised my eyebrows. At a Wellington store, they list Woodland eggs as coming from the Wairarapa!

Not sure that Turks Chickens are Free Range either - too full of fat for one who's supposed to be exercising and having fun.

esther-anne, Jun 9, 11:37am
Coulton Hills here in Auckland!Up to $6.50 a doz now butstill cheap as I think -fabulous tasting eggs!

mwood, Jun 10, 2:36am
I bought my chickens from them and "grow" my own eggs !

elliehen, Jun 10, 2:59am
I really do believe that Manuka Hill hens run all over Marlborough paddocks and it's very reassuring to know that the eggs are sold at the Farmers' Market.They wouldn't last long there if there was anything underhand in the business.

mwood, Jun 10, 3:04am
x1
"Manuka Hill hens run all over Marlborough paddocks" - Yes they do and I have seen the farm.I also bought some great plastic laying nest inserts from them which deliver the eggs to the outside of the hen house.

hezwez, Jun 12, 9:00pm
Might be worth listening to Katherine Ryan on National Radio this morning some time between 9 and 10. I think it's the second item after the news. Will be discussing free range eggs ~ are they free range.

hezwez, Jun 12, 9:51pm
OK listened. Woodland justifying the 10% free range chooks they claim to free range as well as the 90% battery hens they farm. Smaller farmers (totally free range) complaining that huge "mixed farms" such as Woodlands have lower prices for their 'free range' eggs than totally committed free range farmers charge. In other words, Woodlands can charge less because they profit from the battery side of their business. It was pointed out that some companies use a false "accreditation tick" on their packaging as a marketing ploy. There IS no legal or industry definition of "free range". 10% of eggs sold in New Zealand are labelled as free range. I find that the saddest part really. That the buyers of 90% of eggs sold in New Zealand don't give a rat's Rssss about the source of their eggs.

lx4000, Jun 12, 10:06pm
to have all nz eggs free range, it would cost a heck of alot and there for the price of eggs will go up. It comes down to economics. Chocks need alot of grass area or it soon turns to bog! But its a great Idea to have a chook house in your back yard as they will have your food scraps and little in buying food and the bonus of eggs:)
Most places you can have a few chooks, just no roosters in city :) So for great free range eggs, get a few chooks and make a chooks life a part of yours and reap the rewards:)

shop-a-holic, Jun 12, 10:11pm
Thanks hezwez for posting about that. I just missed it on RadioNZ. I'm going to Moore Wilsons now to buy Pasture Poultry as there may well be a shortage of them soon.