Why is my fudge not hardening?

karee.bell, Jun 11, 7:00pm
hi there
This is the 2nd and 3rd batch I have now made.
1st batch of russian fudge (done on stovetop) ended up like caramel. Yes it was at the softball stage as used the candy thermometer and did the coldwater test too.

Tried doing a vanilla fudge and a russian fudge each in the microwave last night, both at softball stage for both.

And the russian one is all chewy and and the vanillla one is mushy and not set.

Is it possible to melt them both down again and try reboiling them!

valentino, Jun 12, 4:57am
Hmmm, 10 hours and no response.

Maybe what should be looked at or perhaps added to each recipe given is how firm or soft does that fudge is.

Every fudge recipe that I have given is to my own taste buds which can be different to some others and likewise to others when they give their recipes.

Now, we should be adding what the final texture is like.

i will start that I like my fudges quite firm - a little bit soft but firm that will melt in the mouth, one can put a finger into it yet with a slight preassure, the bite is clean but soft, it holds it's shape even on slightly warmer days.

Having said all that, recently tried some Bailey's Fudge from Candyland, very very nice, but only one or two pieces at the most otherwise tooo sickly.

karen.bell, in the thread titled "confectionary" are quite a few that I had put and so has others.
There are other recipes throughout this MSB that one can look at as well.

But very few tells exactly what the end texture is like and perhaps this needs to be done so all can know beforehand what to expect.

Cheers and sorry about this long awaited post.

Editing to correct my poor spelling.

rainrain1, Jun 12, 5:05am
the best lollies are made on the stove top, not in the microwave.Are you beating it for long enough!It takes a fair beating, and a sore arm to fudge up.also maybe you need to boil it a little longer

karee.bell, Jun 12, 10:03am
thanks
Will try it again
first time making it ever, so I guess we live and learn. Trial and error :)

raewyn64, Jun 12, 8:35pm
I could never get fudge to set properly. I ended up rolling it into small balls and then dunking them in melted chocolate which then set around the fudge - very yummy lol :)

zeta7, Jun 15, 11:46am
not boiling for right amount of time I dont worry about soft ball I boil mine on med heat until it gets to boiling then turn down to lowest heat so it is just boiling boil for 7 mins and not a min more then beat until thick

chatsmom, Jun 15, 9:14pm
Russian fudge does need to be beaten for 5-10 mins until it starts getting stiff and you can see the sides of the pot setting. By this I mean that the beater leaves a wave pattern which stays - if its not ready to set the top of the fudge flattens out again. I always use a hand electric beater too.
I hope this makes sense!

02kids, Jun 16, 8:31am
I've agree that stove top is best way to make fudge, and once it looks like hot pools bubbling away then time it for 4 minutes, remember to stir occassionally, after 4 minutes take off heat, let it cool for a few minutes then beat it.This is the method I use, and I always follow the Edmonds Cook Book recipe, and my 4 minutes system always works. Good luck