Quick easy dinners ?

elektrotrashx, Jun 4, 8:50am
Me and my partner are both dairy farmers and struggle to find time to make decent healthy food . we are sick to death of stir fry lol do anyone have any fantastic recipes , only food dislikes are broccoli and corn

lindylambchops1, Jun 4, 9:13am
Get a slow cooker!
Throw stuff in, leave to cook all day, come home to tasty meal!

ange164, Jun 4, 9:26am
Quick cook meat and three veg meals such as pre-made salad, or steamed broccoli with chops/sausages/steak/ (any frying meat really) in the fry pan, and some baked potatos in a plastic bag (with a hole in it for steam venting) in the microwave. 5 mins per fist size spud is about right. Put on some sour cream or grated cheese.

Do a couple extra if you like and make it chilli con carne [500g mince, 1 tin chilli beans, a bit of garlic and onion, simmer for 10 mins while the spuds cook.] on baked spud for lunches too.

ange164, Jun 4, 9:26am
Quick cook meat and three veg meals such as pre-made salad, or steamed beans with chops/sausages/steak/ (any frying meat really) in the fry pan, and some baked potatos in a plastic bag (with a hole in it for steam venting) in the microwave. 5 mins per fist size spud is about right. Put on some sour cream or grated cheese.

Do a couple extra if you like and make it chilli con carne [500g mince, 1 tin chilli beans, a bit of garlic and onion, simmer for 10 mins while the spuds cook.] on baked spud for lunches too.

sossie1, Jun 4, 9:27am
I could eat the following 5 nights a week.

baked potato-no effort required.

Huge salad with loads of yummo stuff in it-no cooking required

steak, chicken, etc, meat of your choice.

ange164, Jun 4, 9:29am
Are you handy and quick at slicing and dicing veggies! prep can take forever if you've got blunt knives or no knife skills.

sossie1, Jun 4, 9:30am
If cooking rice, when you are at the simmer /absorbing stage, either in a pot or a rice steamer, throw veges on the top and they will steam coook.

sossie1, Jun 4, 9:31am
omg, we must be clones, I HATE blunt knives, I don't know how people cope with them

elektrotrashx, Jun 4, 9:32am
blunt knives are a big no no in this house , loving the ideas :)

sarahb5, Jun 4, 9:32am
Spaghetti carbonara - takes about as long to cook as the pasta itself - basically spaghetti with bacon, eggs and cheese

Nachos - fry your mince with an onion, add a can of seasoned tomatoes and a tin of chilli beans, simmer and serve with rice, jacket potatoes, corn chips or tortillas

These are the two quickest meals in our house and the carbonara especially is a great standby - if you don't have bacon you can use ham, salami, chorizo - less traditional but just as good

elektrotrashx, Jun 4, 9:33am
wow nice tip :)

ange164, Jun 4, 9:33am
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2008/may/hfg-sausage-casserole

sausage casserole; All day in the crock pot, or 30 mins in a pot on the stove when you get in the door.

ange164, Jun 4, 9:36am
crock pot lamb curry. I really like this, though I halve the spicy ingrediants to suit my taste.
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2009/july/nikis-crockpot-lamb-curry

elektrotrashx, Jun 4, 9:40am
would be good frozen for lunch or quick heat and eat dinners :) can anyone recommend good sausages ! i have horrid memories of boring generic sausages when younger so tend to steer clear of them lol

elektrotrashx, Jun 4, 9:41am
yum !

elektrotrashx, Jun 4, 9:42am
Homemade or purchased carbonara sauce !

sarahb5, Jun 4, 9:38pm
Homemade - carbonara sauce that you buy in the supermarket is just not carbonara.

Put your pot of water for the pasta on to boil.While you're waiting fry 150g - 200g of bacon, ham, salami, chorizo, etc. until crispy.Remove from pan and drain on kitchen paper.Beat together 6 eggs, about 100g grated tasty cheese and 50g grated parmesan and lots of freshly ground black pepper.When your pasta's cooked drain it and then add the meat to it.Toss through and then quickly add the egg mixture.Heat over a very low heat until the eggs are just setting and the cheese is melted but keep it moving or you'll get scrambled eggs.These quantities are for 4 of us - 2 adults and 2 teenage boys.