Do you need to stew rhubarb for a crumble?

nicwil, Jun 3, 5:00am
Hi all, I'm going to make a rhubarb and apple crumble and have some raw rhubarb to use in it - do you have to stew it first or can you just put it straight in! Thanks!

mountainchick, Jun 3, 5:05am
I stew it first in a little bit of water (just to cover) and some sugur till it goes soft, otherwise it takes ages to cook and the crumble gets too dry

biwa, Jun 3, 5:06am
I have done both and have wokred fine, If I dont stew it I just chop it to about 1-2cm pieces and chuck it in the dish I am baking the crumble in

ibcreative, Jun 3, 5:09am
I never do.

I don't add water to cook it either, just the sugar, cook it on low & it makes it's own liquid.

nannymaid, Jun 3, 6:16am
No sugar.hmmmm! Yummmmmmmmmmm! The real taste of rhubarb.

pam.delilah, Jun 3, 6:30am
roast it first then the oven will be heated for the crumble, Less liquidthis way and yummier
Cut stalks into 2 inches, put in an oven dish, dot with salted butter and sprinkle with raw-golden/white castoror brown sugar,
roast in a hot oven @ 200c for 10-15 minutes,

wheelz, Jun 3, 11:15am
ooh thats sounds a great idea, it would get some caramelization going on . Yum!

sarahb5, Jun 4, 2:36am
I don't usually cook my fruit for a crumble but for rhubarb I sweeten it with ginger marmalade instead of sugar and add dry ginger to the crumble mix - it's delicious

wekagallery, Jun 4, 4:05am
Yep roast it. It holds it shape and caramalises and is much better than stewed. I don't salt it but sprinkle with brown sugar cover for 15 minutes and then leave uncovered for 5-10 minutes. I love apple and rhubarb together and usually make eithr crumble or fruit sponge with this combo. (Might make one tonight!)

sandra84, Jun 4, 4:08am
Just a note in regards to roasting in the oven, it alleviates the chalky feeling that your teeth get if you boil it!

sarahb5, Jun 4, 4:21am
But boiling rhubarb is also a great way to clean your stainless steel pots!

whiskey13, Jun 4, 4:29am
All i do is chop the rhubarb into pieces and put in a pot of cold water. Let it stand for 10 minutes and drain water off then cook rhubarb. Don't add anymore water to it. This takes the bitterness out of the rhubarb.
Rhubarb Butterscotch Pie
Heat oven to 200°C.
Line a pie dish with short pastry ( i make my own sweet shortcrust pastry). Wash 4 stems of rhubarb, pat dry and chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside. Beat 4 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla essence and 3/4 cup brown sugar together until thick. Add 1/2 cup flour and a pinch of salt and beat well till blended and thick. (Note: there's no baking powder required). Arrange rhubarb pieces over the pastry. Pour over the egg mixture and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature and bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes or till the rhubarb has softened and the pastry has browned. Serve hot, warm or cold with whipped cream or icecream.

whiskey13, Jun 4, 4:29am
All i do is chop the rhubarb into pieces and put in a pot of cold water. Let it stand for 10 minutes and drain water off then cook rhubarb. Don't add anymore water to it. This takes the bitterness out of the rhubarb.
Rhubarb Butterscotch Pie
Heat oven to 200°C.
Line a pie dish with short pastry ( i make my own sweet shortcrust pastry). Wash 4 stems of rhubarb, pat dry and chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside. Beat 4 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla essence and 3/4 cup brown sugar together until thick. Add 1/2 cup flour and a pinch of salt and beat well till blended and thick. (Note: there's no baking powder required). Arrange rhubarb pieces over the pastry. Pour over the egg mixture and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature and bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes or till the rhubarb has softened and the pastry has browned. Serve hot, warm or cold with whipped cream or icecream.

Edited to add that this is what we are having for pudding tonight after the roast chicken.