Chocolate cake recipe (precook on stove)

mel1lindz, Jun 2, 8:30am
a few years ago i baked a chocolate cake and had to heat ingredients on the stove in pot first then put in oven to finish, it was the best cake i have made, has anyone got the recipe

malcovy, Jun 2, 9:17am
I use this one all the time, it's brilliant!
Mels Secret Chocolate Cake
2 Cups of water 3 Cups of caster sugar 250gm butter 1/3 Cup cocoa 1 teaspoon of baking soda 3 Cups of self raising flour 4 eggs lightly beaten Combine water, sugar, butter ,cocoa, & soda in a large pot. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Cool for 10 minutes. Mix in flour and eggs and beat til smooth. Pour into a lined roasting dish and bake for 50 minutes at 160c. Check at 40 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

dollmakernz (238 )&#-
160; 3:00 pm, Mon 20 Jun #6
I use ordinary sugar.

mel1lindz, Jun 2, 9:24am
sweet thanks that sounds great

elliehen, Jun 2, 11:42am
This cakes tastes quite eggy when it's just made and is better the following day.

gardie, Jun 2, 5:47pm
Just copied this yesterday out of a kids cookbook.It sounded very good and I thought it good.Didn't copy down the size of the tin needed however and I know it's a bigger than normal cake (small roast size I think - although didn't copy measurements).What size do you use!

elsielaurie1, Jun 3, 2:15am
Yes.how bit is your 'roasting dish'!.

sclaredy_cat, Jun 3, 5:11am
I use the above recipe all the time, even for wedding cakes. In my house its called Pony Club Cake, I found it in a pony club magazine from the 70s so its been around for a wee while. I have no idea who Mel is but it is identical. The recipe makes 2 litres of batter so measure your tin first, and aim to fill 2 thirds of the way up. It is easy to double, triple it etc, it never fails and everyone loves it :)
ETA: I never bother with caster sugar, plain white is fine.