Boiled sultana cake recipe wanted please

korban, Jun 2, 3:46am
Grandma use to make one. She boiled sultanas then added butter but I can't find her recipe.

Thank you.

elliehen, Jun 2, 3:58am
Not quite the same, but it sounds similar.

bluekiwi16, Jun 2, 3:59am
I just made it this afternoon. Edmonds CookBook 1992 edition. 2 cups of sultanas, cover with water, heat until boiling then boil for 10 minutes, add 250g butter (spread) to saucepan,beat three eggs and 2 cups of sugar together, add 1tsp vanilla essence, sift 2 cups flour and 1 1/2 tsp bkg pdr, mix all together and cook at160 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

elliehen, Jun 2, 4:59am
Did the sultanas hold their shape!Boiling for ten minutes seems such a long time.I would think simmering for three or four minutes would plump them enough. 2 cups of sugar sounds like a lot for two cups of flour also.

I'm not questioning you about the recipe, just Mr Edmonds ;)What is your opinion of the finished cake!

esther-anne, Jun 2, 5:15am
My Mum's recipe for 'boiled fruitcake' has stood the test of time.I make it regularly and it stays beautifully moist and delicious.I use sultanas, raisins and currants.It's in pounds and ounces I'm afraid:

1 lb mixed fruit as above (I buy them seperately because we don't like the candied peel in a bought mix).
Breakfastcup sugar,
breakfastcup water, 8 ozs butter
1 level tspn baking soda.

2 breakfast cups flour
1 level tspn baking powder
2 beaten eggs.

First bring to boil and then simmer gently for 10 minutes the fruit ingredients above.
Allow to cool.

Fold in the flour mixture alternately with the beaten egg - just fold don't beat furiously.

Into yourprepared cake tin and sprinkle the top of the batter with some raw sugar and cinnamon for a crunchy topping.

This is also delicious as a dessert with custard, cream, ice cream, yoghurt - whatever!In fact we often cut a slice of cake and heat it in the microwave in a dish with some kind of accompaniment.

Moderate oven-approx 1 hour.

The fruit doesn't lose it's shape at all but it is simmered not boiled.

Yum-must make one tomorrow.

bluekiwi16, Jun 2, 5:17am
I apologise, it isthree cups of flour. smacks self on back of head. Good save elliehen. Thank you.

Beautiful, lovely texture. The sultanas are lovely and plump. I remember whenMum used to make this cake when we were little, I didn't like the fruit but that was ok as Mums always used to sink to the bottom so I enjoyed the top.

elliehen, Jun 2, 5:18am
esther-anne, thank you!I'll trust your mum :)

elliehen, Jun 2, 5:20am
No smacking necessary!I'll try yours too.I love sultanas with everything ;)

thevicarswife, Jun 2, 6:31am
Sultana Cake

1lb sultanas
3 eggs
12ozflour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
8oz butter
12oz sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

Boil sultanas in sufficient water to cover for 5 mins. Strain off water - cut butter into hot sultanas.
Beat eggs with sugar until creamy, add sultanas and butter.
Sift in flour and baking powder, add essence.
Bake 1.75hrs @ 150C

The cooking times vary depending on how moist you want the cake.
The original instructions were "bake @ 300F for 1.75hrs in an 18inch tin.

This is my grandmothers recipe book, hence the ounces instead of kgs.

korban, Jun 2, 7:47am
Thank you all much appreciated

pom-pom, Jun 2, 10:09am
I have a great gluten free boiled fruit cake recipe as follows: 125g margarine, 1 cup milk (in two halves), 125g brown sugar, 450g mixed dried fruit to suit taste. Place everyhting except 1/2 cup milk into saucepan. Boil for 3 mins then turn heat off and add remaining 1/2 cup milk (this helps it cool quicker and gves better consistency. Then once cooled a little add the following : 50g almond meal, 50g brown rice flour, 50g tapioca starch, 25g gf cornstarch, 25g rice flour (or 150g gluten free flour mix) , 2 tsp GF baking powder and 3 beaten eggs. Pour into large lined cake tin and cook 170 degrees for 40-50 mins until skewer comes out clean. Moist and stays good for days.

anne1955, Jun 3, 1:20am
I do one with almost the same contents but I only bring the fruit as I make it with either just sultanas or same of mixed fruit.BUT I just bring the fruit to the boil I just cover the fruit with water and bring them to boil and then pour off water and add butter and follow with the rest of the things sitting ready for the wet mix.As they said on the cooking show last night always add wet to dry.Hope this helps they taste great everyone love them If I need to do a 'real' fruit cake I use the recipe for wedding cakes from my old original Australian Womans Weekly cook book.and there is a recipe for soufflee (sp) in it as well that is so easy.and can be frozen and cooked from frozen or thawed or straight away a good old book worth having.I have taken it everwhere with me :)

elliehen, Jun 5, 9:34am
esther-anne, I tried your mum's cake at the weekend with just sultanas and it was the success you promised.I did tweak it slightly in that I added 1/2 teaspoon each of pure vanilla and pure almond extract.It's quite a dark cake, with almost a wholemeal flour texture, which I think is because the water that the fruit is boiled in stays in the cake.

The next one I'm going to try is the recipe from thevicarswife.With hers, the water is strained off and the butter cut into the hot fruit.I think that will make it a light-coloured, golden sultana cake.

I took half the cake to a workplace today to help feed the hungry and it was very well-received.

1buzemum, Jun 6, 3:18am
I have this same recipe but add 1/2 tsp of almond essence to it also

bev00, Jul 25, 9:28am
This is one I use & people love it.
Sultana Cake
Ingredients:
450 gms Sultanas
250 gms Butter
250 gms Sugar
350 gms Flour
3 Eggs
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsps Vanilla Essence

Put sultanas into a saucepan & just cover with water. Bring to boil & boil 5 mins.
Cut butter into a bowl, add sugar.
Strain sultanas & add to butter & Sugar. Stir well. (can still be hot) Retain liquid.
Add beaten eggs & dry ingredients that have been sifted.
Add Vanilla essence.
Add ¼ cup of the sultana juice.
Mix well.
8 inch square tin. 1 ¼ hrs – 1 ½ hrs at 150 C

Quotenzbadger (563 )9:07 pm, Mon

harrislucinda, Jul 25, 10:23am
ijustmade1theotherdayandsaidrince theboiledfruitincoldwaterturnedout thebestsultanacakei hadmade
so will do thatagain

nik12, Jul 25, 10:52am
LOL love how bev00 your recipe is all metric until you get to the 8 inch tin :-)

cgvl, Jul 25, 9:40pm
my one is similar to the others except you can simmer the fruit in wine or sherry instead of water.

deluxe4u, Jul 26, 1:05am
http://joseagar.com/recipes/category:baking-and-treats/farmhouse-sultana-cake/

I use this one except only 200gms of butter, boil the sultanas for 10mins and use a mixture of bourbon and orange liqueur (also no vanilla when adding cointreau) just a bit more than 1/4 cup, up to 1/2 if you like it boozy. Also in my oven 170 degrees
Still under going refinements you can see, but delish and does not last long around here!

eastie3, Jul 26, 6:59am
I should know this as I do remember using breakfast cups as a measurement,but what is the metric equivalent!