Butter from raw cream.why isn't it working?!

koru_designs, May 21, 2:48am
I'm hoping someone can give me a few clues as to why I can't get this to work. I'm part of a herd share & get regular raw milk. The cow was milked & I picked the milk up on Friday. The milk was decanted into big glass jars & left to sit. On Saturday, I skimmed most of the cream off into another glass jar. I let this sit until today in the fridge (so the cream isn't cultured as I want to make sweet cream butter). I made sure there was no milk in the cream.after sitting since Sat, I noticed a small amount of milk at the bottom, so was sure not to incl this in my cream. I've been using a breadmaker to make my butter.but I cannot get it to thicken. At all. Let alone make butter. Cream & container is cold (I accidentally tried room temp cream to start with with no go). I've made butter heaps of times with store-bought cream but this is my first time with raw cream. What am I doing wrong!!

juliewn, May 21, 4:02am
Hi :-). hope your garden is growing well. and bumping for you so someone can help.

vmax2, May 21, 4:24am
Sounds like you're doing everything right.Older cream is usually best, room temp, no milk accidentally in there.Haven't got any answers for you apart from patience, sometimes it takes a while to turn.Never heard of doing it in the breadmaker before.Sometimes these things just don't work, mother nature laughing at you today.

harrislucinda, May 21, 4:45am
in abreadmakerwith thepaddlesoundsstrange,whynotuseyourcakemixeraswillbeatfasterithink thats yourproblemnotfastenoughimake10ltsofcreamintobutterusingmymixer

scoobydoo2, May 21, 6:11am
I don't know about the breadmaker it seems it would go too slow - I usually do mine in the food processor (chopper) with a blade in and whiz it up really fast - even then it would take a good 5 -minutes - I only ever had issues when the cream was too cold - had to wait until it was room temperature.

koru_designs, May 21, 6:16am
I beat the stuff for nearly an hour at room temp before trying it cold.lol. Might get out the beater & try that then. The breadmaker has a "butter" setting but clearly it isn't working! Will let you know how it goes.

kamitchell, May 21, 6:46am
I would wait until the cream is 4 or 5 days old.I have made butter successfully from raw cream at this age, and by putting it in either an electric mixer or food processor

prawn_whiskas, May 21, 8:05am
When I culture cream to make cultured butter it takes a good 45 mins to churn.Maybe the raw cream is at fault! try again with another batch perhaps!

punkinthefirst, May 21, 8:59am
New cream takes ages to even whip, let alone churn into butter. If you keep it in the fridge for a few days (it will still taste "fresh" for a week or so, if covered), then you'll have better luck.

koru_designs, May 21, 9:04am
Well, I'm happy to report I now have a lovely pat of butter hardening in my fridge. Thanks so much for your help. It was definitely the breadmaker at fault. I had left the raw cream to sit for three days but maybe it was still too fresh! I'll leave it longer with the next delivery & see if that makes a difference.

cookessentials, May 21, 9:52am
I did wonder about the bread maker and it being too slow. You need the vigorous churning/beating/shaking to get it to turn. I just throw mine into the kitchen whizz wiith the plastic paddle and it turns very quickly.

marcs, May 21, 10:37am
We used to make butter ourselves as we owned a dairy farm. The neat trick the mum taught me was if you are having a hard time getting your butter, add a little bit of hot water (just a little bit hotter than you can handle) and use your hands to keep stirring/mixing. You use the hot water once it gets to the butter stage but it does not come togetther. It doesn't take long after you add hot water that it turns to butter. Of course the liquid that is left is buttermilk. And let the cream sit for a 3-4 of days before you make it.

janny3, May 21, 3:10pm
If the cream is too fresh, it won't set too readily and so you have to beat it much faster and for much longer.We grew up on a dairy farm so always hated that job of churning fresh cream with a hand egg beater.We usually kept a store of older cream for churning, to avoid the chore.Wish we'd had such a flash breadmaker churn (think I'll put it on my wish list).Was it faulty!

snoopy221, May 21, 3:23pm
Wish we'd had such a flash breadmaker churn (think I'll put it on my wish list). Was it faulty!

Was that Basil or Sybil Falwty you requested!
And was it to advise them to ALWAYS use MAXIMUM FRESH BATTERY POWER in their

**battery powered devices**