Pasta Makers - are they any good ?

clareo, May 21, 11:45pm
Well I used to buy every single kitchen contraption years ago but have never had a pasta maker ! Are they any good or are they just so fiddly and expensive it's just not worth while ! Anyone own one and what are your views !

sarahb5, May 21, 11:51pm
I've had one for years and never used it!

cookessentials, May 21, 11:56pm
All depends on whether you eat enough pasta to justify it i guess. I have one with various attachments which I love and I am also after the extruder for my KitchenAid so I can make various pasta shapes.

clareo, May 21, 11:57pm
Maybe it would just join my other unused gadgets too !

katalin2, May 22, 1:43am
I had an Italian one for years- just found I wasn't using it enough if at all so sold it here on TM last year after sitting unused for some years. Suggest you borrow one from a friend for a few weeks. I now make pasta by hand the few times that I want fresh pasta- it is not a big deal. After moving house and having to pack up many years of kitchen gadgets it was a good opportunity to take stock- so had a pretty good clean out at the time and could probably get rid of a few more things if I tried really hard.

lythande1, May 22, 1:54am
For lasagna sheets it's great. lasagna, ravioli, cannelloni. Love it! But then I hate the nasty shop ravioli and dried lasagna sheets.
I use my cheapy chinese one I bought off TM all the time. had it for years now.

samanya, May 22, 2:16am
I've got an Italian, bought overseas, before they were easy to find here & I use it regularly.
It's relatively time consuming, but somehow satisfying to work on & there's no comparing the end result to bought pasta, IMO.
I cook for one most of the time & I freeze half the pasta dough (unrolled).