Local substitute for corn syrup

tigadee, May 24, 5:25am
Hi all. I am trying to find corn syrup for a recipe but can't seem to find it. Is there a substitute for corn syrup which can be easily found or do any of you know (in Auckland) know where I can find it! Thanks!

nauru, May 24, 5:46am
Usually in the sugar aisle in the supermarket

dolphin101, May 24, 5:48am
i got corn syrup at new world had to ask for itas it was not with the golden syrup

sands39, May 24, 5:49am
I use glucose syrup, according to the label it is derived from corn. I'm not sure if it is the same thing but it seems to work. http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Dglucose%2Bsyrup

queenmaeb, May 24, 7:48am
Corn syrup - was in my New World next to golden syrup

babytears, May 24, 9:14am
Yip. go to New World. it'll be there

elliehen, May 24, 9:21am
Corn syrup = Glucose syrup in the sugar aisle of the supermarket.Australian brand 'Queen' 500gm with a yellow label and a red lid costs just under $5.00 (gluten free).

sultana0, May 24, 9:26am
I used to get it from the chemist as liquid glucose

tigadee, May 26, 2:03am
Thanks all! Yes Sands39, it the same thing.

smiggles15, May 27, 1:55am
You can substitute for honey.

tigadee, May 27, 3:29am
Note to self: Treacle does not make a good substitue, too sweet. I'm guessing it'll be the same with honey or maple syrup. All three also inlfuence the colour of final results.

elliehen, May 27, 3:44am
Corn syrup is used a lot in baking in the US (popular brand name Karo).There you can buy either light or dark corn syrup.

I do recommend the Queen brand I mentioned above.

tigadee, May 27, 11:04am
None at Pak n Save, so it'll be off to New World I go tomorrow.

mottly, May 27, 10:31pm
I use glucose syrup too.

moreorless, May 28, 2:27am
x1
Marthers backyard in Mt Wellington, Auckland is an American store and they sell the karo corn syrup. Ring first though just to make sure they have it in stock.