How to make russian fudge!

cranberry12, May 28, 6:44am
Lost count of how many times I have tried unsuccessfully to make Russian fudge, the sugar never dissolves. Any tips!

timturtle, May 28, 6:57am
Russian Fudge

Condensed milk gives this fudge extra richness.
3 cups sugar, ½cup milk, ½ x200g can condensed milk, 2 Tbsp golden syrup
125g butter, cubed. 1 tsp vanilla, ½-1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Combine first five ingredients in a high-heat resistant microwave (12 cup capacity) bowl or large saucepan. Microwave on high, stirring every 2 minutes or cook over moderate
heat, stirring continuously, until either mixture forms a soft ball, for about 15 minutes.
Remove from microwave oven or stovetop. Add vanilla and~wa1nuts and beat for 4-5 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Pour quickly into 20cm pan lined with a strip of baking paper. Leave until firm. Tip from pan then cut into squares.

dollmakernz (222 )

rednicnz, May 28, 7:28am
Mine always has a more sugary consistency than the bought stuff.But still more-ish.My view, as long it's not burnt and it sets, it's edible!And when it doesn't set, add ice cream!

elsielaurie1, May 28, 8:41am
I can remember my late mother-in-law strolling around her garden, with a wooden spoon and all the time whipping the mixture in the pot.seemed to take ages. But the results were always so yummy.I'm sure that is was the length of time she beat it that made it so yummy and creamy.

chatsmom, May 28, 8:50am
If you are making it on the stove, the important bits are to ensure that the sugar is dissolved before bringing to the boil (can take 5-10 mins depending on batch size) and then boiling/simmering to soft ball stage and beating until setting.
Its a time consuming fudge to make but that is why it tastes so good!

medicina, May 28, 8:54am
The key to fudge is to beat it until your arms are falling off and then get someone else on the task.It will be beautifully creamy and perfect if it has nearly killed two!