Leeks

calista, Feb 3, 1:02am
I'm trying to be a bit more adventurous in my cooking so I bought a couple of leeks thinking my trusty recipe books might come up with a way to use them, but they didn't. Can I slice and steam them to use them as a vegetable?

Does anyone have a favourite (easy)way to prepare them as they're not something I've tried before apart from leek and potato soup?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have time to make.

pericles, Feb 3, 1:05am
steam them, then make a cheese sauce

maxwell.inc, Feb 3, 1:10am
I like Leek and chicken pie. . even my MIL who wont eat anything with leeks in it will eat it lol, mind you I dont give her much choice.

They become lovely and sweet when slowly cooked in butter :o)

darlingmole, Feb 3, 2:22am
I LOVE leeks~!

Leeks in either white or cheese sauce
Chicken'n'Leek Pie
Leek'n'Potato Soup
Steamed in white wine
Throw them into any stew/boil up
Put them finely sliced in quiche
They are also lovely in stir fry
I add them into my vegetable dhal curry

I think you're limited only by your imagination :-)

calista, Feb 3, 3:08am
Wow! thanks everyone, I didn't realise they were so versatile. Cooked in butter sounds divine, but special occaision only due to my cholestrol levels.

I think I will try steamed with the cheese sauce first as I know I can do that, but the vegetable dhal curry sounds interesting as I've never tried making anything like that before.

Darlingmole lack of imagination with food is something I struggle with, which is why I'm trying to make an effort to broaden my repetoire. I cook for myself only and I have got fed up with what a boring cook I am - hence the rather basic questions.

Oh, and when you say 'steam in wine' I'll try that another time -do you add water to the wine and steam in the usual way?

maxwell.inc, Feb 3, 3:13am
you might want to check your library for. .

The Great Cholesterol Con ~ Anthony Colpo

Butter has no impact on cholesterol at all, actually it does, it has the reverse effect of what you are told ;o) if you are at all interested then do some reading :o)

darlingmole, Jul 29, 4:00am
Well I'm not a chef but what *I* do is steam them in water but first splash some white wine over the leeks ... in fact I'm amateur but will give anything a try!