CREAMED RICE RECIPE PLEZ

lanei, May 19, 7:35pm
I have been buying the wee tins of creamed rice.Very nice indeed.Now I would like to make my own and reduce the sweetness with splendour.Does Anyone have a nice recipe please!

lanei, May 20, 3:16am
THANX BUT IS THIS THE SAME AS "CREAMED RICE" LIKE IN THE TIN.

ange164, May 20, 3:29am
If you make rice pudding out of the edmonds using aborio rice, but increase the milk a bit, you'll get creamed rice like in the tins. Usually creamed rice in the tins is somewhat runnier and thinner in texture than the stuff I make at home. Hence the suggestion to increase the liquid more, but even once it's cooked up, you can thin it down by adding more milk (or cream) to suit yourself. Just experiment a little.

lanei, May 20, 3:48am
thanx ange. will try that.

kismet41, May 20, 6:18am
Yummm - love rice pudding.Big tick to the nutmeg on top.
I also remember having flaked rice at some stage for an easier stove top method but can't remember how to make it. any tips!

sweater, May 20, 6:59am
Can you still buy flaked rice, this used to be a favourite of ours

veeessay, May 20, 11:33am
To have it taste like the tinned creamed rice. you HAVE to use a tin of evaporated milk in it.I PROMISE you it will be the closest you will make to the tinned version.I make a quick one in the rice cooker sometimes.Its not the traditional one we used to make in the oven, but its fast and this is how it goes:

. cook 2 and half cups white rice in rice cooker (with water and pinch of salt as usual).When done. add one tin of evap milk. half cup of milk or full cream. half a cup of sugar, teaspoon of vanilla essence, and two whole eggs.Stir through - then push the rice cooker on again.Wallah!

I have made it straight after dinner when theres heaps of rice left in the cooker too.Have it with vanilla ice cream or pouring cream.Yum.Want some now.

nik12, May 20, 12:07pm
I need to double check but I'm sure my Nan's one was a pint of milk (600mls!, would be full cream) and 1C rice 2T sugar and a knob of butter.She did it in a double boiler, but told me I could do it in a pie dish in the oven.
Been too scared to try 'coz I loved her's so much it just might be wrong :-)
It was lovely and creamy (you have to stir it occasionly if like me you don't like the skin), no nutmeg, not raisens, not terrible skin. just how I like it lol

rozke, May 20, 12:40pm
my gran used to make the same as nik #9 . Used to put it in the coal range early in the morning and have it for a hot dinner at 1.0pmmy kids couldnt get enough of it.
l have heard of people putting it in the warming drawer for hours. Never tried it.You have to top it with grated nutmeg for the taste.Cheers

lisapisa2, May 21, 2:40am
My boys think this is better than the bought stuff

Creamed Rice

3 C milk, 1 C water, 1/3 C sugar, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 C rice, 1/2 t vanilla

Combine all except vanilla in a large saucepan & bring to a gentle boil. Gradually add rice stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover & simmer gently, stirring occasionally until 2/3rds of liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (approx 1 hour). Stir in vanilla. Serves 4-6 but I usually double it. I use long grain rice.
Enjoy!

lanei, May 21, 5:46am
this sounds awesome - will make this at weekend.thanx so much.

lanei, May 21, 5:47am
Mmmm this seems good too - cant wait to try it out - will let you know.

edens_house, May 21, 9:54am
any good recipies for rice pudding made in the crockpot!

grandma, May 21, 10:17am
Here's one from here edens_house "-I make this regularly over winter and my lot love it. More like creamed rice than the traditional rice pud like my mum makes. 1/2 cup short grain rice, 4 cups boiling water, 1 cup skim milk powder, 1 tbsp butter, 1/3 cup sugar, a little vanilla, pinch of salt. Mix well and cook on high for at least 3 hours. Longer will do no harm. I sometimes put it on low before I go to bed at night and the kids eat it with fruit for breakfast in the morning. Makes 4 small bowls.Milk powder makes it creamier." Thanks lalah (112) - we enjoy it too!

carlos57, May 22, 12:15am
I made this last night and it was sooooo yummy! I used short grain rice, and it turned out lovely and creamy. Thanks :)