Cake with flakey pastry?

Page 1 / 2
unknowndisorder, May 16, 11:11am
I know I should remember what it's called (and did this morning), but can't quite remember.
It's a sponge type cake, bit heavier, but not madiera, with a layer of flakey pastry, cream & jam in the middle and then an icing on top.
Was a treat as a kid, and should be easy enough to make, so wondering if anyone can help with a recipe and/or name :)
(I have searched, and am still blank).
Cheers in advance :)

bambi58, May 16, 11:27am
I know the one you mean, did it have pink icing! Mum used to get it at Ann's Pantry on Karangahape Rd for a special treat, when I was a little girl.
It wasn't Napoleon sponge, or something like that!

tigerlilly16, May 16, 11:27am
My mum made something similar to this and I'm sure the were called cheese cakes, even though they had nothing to do with cheese - they had a pastry base, then jam, then a sponge cake mixture. I googled cheese cakes with jam and pastry and found a recipe here, under Welsh cheesecakes:

http://www.butcherbakerblog.com/2009/08/05/welsh-cheesecakes/

unknowndisorder, May 16, 11:34am
That does sort of ring a bell, but can't quite pin it down.
We got it from a shop in Henderson, just outside the square (long, long time ago, when it was a square and new & had a big H on the top).
Might be Napoleon cake, so will google that tomorrow, and check it out.

Tigerlilly (knew Lilly wasn't right lol), those cheesecakes are something I keep meaning to make, a friend makes something similar, which is so good. They had a meal in a minute recipe a year or two back, but I found them too fiddly to be bothering making them again. But might give that recipe a go, just because they're a bit more similar to my friend makes :)
Thanks to you both :)

rainrain1, May 16, 7:02pm
Neapolitan Slice probably, maybe you could google up a recipe

retired, May 16, 8:40pm
I began making this when a little local cake shop closed down and I loved their version.You just need two square of puff pastry, pricked all over and cook.Make a Fielders or similar sponge i have a square tin same size as the pastry.Just fill jam, your choice, whipped cream then the sponge, more jam, whipped cream, top with pastry and ice with a thin water icing.Delicious but very hard to cut I have to use an electric knife!

pickles7, May 16, 8:46pm
Neapolitan cake
Buy a trifle sponge,[ Ernest Adams ] good. cook a sheet of puff pastry, prick it well before cooking, put an other tray on top after cooking, cool. Split the cake in half, jam it with raspberry jam, spread that with a layer of mock cream, put pastry on , spread that with cream, spread a layer of jam onto the other bit of sponge put on top. Ice with raspberry icing. Enjoy

pickles7, May 16, 8:46pm
mock cream.
Probably cream two Napoleon cakes. I would divide it into four lots and make sure before starting.Thicken 500 mils of milk, 250 grams of sugar with 50 grams of cornflour.cool, stir as it is cooling to avoid a skin. Cream 1 pkt of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, add cool custard a little at a time. May even add more custard, taste and see.

terachaos, May 16, 8:52pm
We got it from a shop in Henderson, just outside the square

Gosh, I used to buy morning tea shouts from that shop at my very first job, and the beautifully fresh chelsea buns were 4c each. I'm going to be distracted all day long trying to remember the name of the shop. Now that was a 'real' bakery and cake shop:)

cookessentials, May 16, 10:10pm

cookessentials, May 16, 10:11pm
Or the NZ version
http://www.cakeconcepts.co.nz/singleserve.html#you will have to scroll down a bit.

dwyn5, May 16, 11:10pm
I looked up my old Edmonds book - first I thought it would be Ladysmith Cake but there was no mention of pastry.Loch Katrine Cake sounds more like it but no mention of cream, fresh or mock.If either of these names ring a bell either search for them or let me know and I can provide the recipes.

terachaos, May 17, 2:58am
Cookery Nook.Henderson, yay, remembered.

gardie, May 17, 4:16am
Oh yes - they used to make the most devine raspberry slice with some sort of fruit in the middle and pink icing.OMG - I can just taste them now.Have never ever had anything like them since - have even tried making them but nothing ever makes the grade.Mind you, I recently tried twinkies after 30 years and although they smelt and tasted just like they did, obviously my tastes are more refined now!Didn't enjoy them much at all.

I too think that the name you are after OP is Napoleon Sponge.

kinna54, May 17, 5:32am
dwyn5 loch katrine cake was my first guess as well.

rainrain1, May 17, 6:19am
I found this in a old book of my Mothers, no mention of cream, but it could be split and creamed I should imagine

Napoleon Cake

1/4lb butter
6ozs sugar
2 eggs
1 large cup flour
1 tsp creme of tarter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup milk

Line tin with pastry, spread rasp jam on bottom, put in cake mixture and spread top with jam then pastry
Bake moderate oven 3/4 to 1hr

littlemissy1, May 17, 6:49am
They are somethingarather fingers!

Puff pastry fingers with jam and cream between and pink icing.so yummy!

elliehen, May 17, 6:58am
There are Ladyfingers, but they're a different beast.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ladyfingers/

punkinthefirst, May 17, 8:46am
Pastry with cream and jam and icing could be Napoleon Square or Milles Fuilles (sp!)
Pastry with jam and sponge could be Loch Katrine Cake or Cheesecakes. Then there are Albert Squares!

cookessentials, May 17, 10:06am
Albert square is cake, with currants in it and icing.

elliehen, May 17, 10:37am
Not cake, but a Napoleon something ;)

dancewest, May 17, 10:44am
Isn't it just plain old Napoleon!
Pastry, cream, pink icing.

Sold at the bakery next to Mr Bon in Larnoch, Henderson and the Lunch bar on Henderson Valley Road too

unknowndisorder, May 17, 10:58am
That's it,with white icing and chocolate drizzled over it. think they had a cherry thing as well, but not sure. That was so good, but am still a fan of raspberry jam lol
Thank you all so much, will have to bake this very soon.
Yes, Cookery Nook sounds right. Dad worked at Bonsell Jewellers in Catherine Arcade,so we hung around there after school a bit. I still look for the bakery even though I know it is long gone.

marcs, May 17, 11:28am

bambi58, May 19, 4:19am
Didn't they have a shop at the very new then Lynmall! I remember there was a really good home cookery there, I had a cousin who was a pastrychef there. Or was that an Ann's Pantry shop!