We Don't Have to Buy It Cos We Can Make It Thread!

Page 1 / 48
kamitchell, Jul 6, 2:56am
homemade dishwashing liquid recip anyone? ? Hi all, am wanting a dishwashing liquid recipe... . anyone have onn they would like to share?

TIA

ange164, Jul 6, 3:03am
From Sherylt; over in the household hints thread Post 1994 - dish washing liquid
I make my own and it works really well - although you don't get suds like bought dishwash. The original recipe that I got off the internet was 1/4 cup soap flakes (I use lux), 2 cups hot water, 1/4 cup glycerin, & 1/2 tsp lemon essential oil. Dissolve the soap flakes in hot water and cool to luke warm, stir in glycerin and oil. Mixture thickens as it cools. I found this mixture too thick & gluggy so I use just over half the amount of soap & glycerin - this makes a consistency much closer to commercial dish wash.

sherylt

juliewn, Jul 6, 2:30pm
Hi Jamtart. . look for it near the coffee section where milk powder, condensed milk etc is sold - I think it's usually at the top? ?

lulu239, Jul 6, 5:48pm
Bath Salts Desert Sands Bath Salt Recipe by Pioneerthinking.com Ingredients: * 5 drops yellow food coloring * 2 drops red food coloring * 4 drops musk fragrant or essential oil * 3 drops Jasmine fragrant or essential oil * 3 cups epsom salts * 1 cup baking soda * 2 teaspoons liquid glycerin (skin moisturizer) (optional) Directions: Combine baking soda, epsom salt and glycerin until well blended, add scents stirring until there is no clumps just a fine powder. Divide the mixture evenly into 3 separate bowls. In the first bowl add 3 drops yellow food coloring, in the second add 3 drops red food coloring and in the 3rd bowl add 2 drops yellow with 1 drop red food coloring... stir each bowl until the color is well mixed. Allow the air to dry it for a few hours before placing in a bottle. Once dried, layer the colors... red first, then orange then lastly yellow.

kamitchell, Jul 9, 5:09am
Thanks Ange just need to get some Glycerine, and then I can make it.

juliewn, Jul 12, 9:00am
Bumping. . :-)

montyspromo, Jul 12, 9:56am
Dishwasher rinse aid Fantastic thread guys. I see that white vinegar has been mentioned heaps here, thought I'd add that I use it in my dishwasher in the rinse container. Works well and leaves glasses streak free.

montyspromo, Jul 12, 9:59am
Anti itch solution? I have a Dalmatian who suffers from some sort of alergy. We think it's grass which is a pity as we're not about to pave the entire backgarden. Anyway, just wondered if anyone knew what we could rub or spray on the top of her legs near her tummy that might stop her scratching / licking. We've taken her to the vet but I don't fancy her going back there every 4 weeks for the rest of her life for another shot to take the itching away.

juliewn, Jul 14, 4:47pm
Hi Montys. . I'll check with my Partner - his dog has the same problem - I know he saw the vet a few times and will find out what he does now. . I'll post back here for you. .

kob, Jul 14, 8:48pm
ow oh i know my dog had really itchy skin around his bum area, not worms but my workmate told me to dab some tea tree oil on a cotton ball and dab on and it worked he was always scatching that area on the carpet like he had worms but he would take alot of skin off and once tt oil was applied he came fine

montyspromo, Jul 15, 7:12pm
thanks I'll try that.

juliewn, Jul 16, 2:25pm
Hi Monty and Kob. . I'll suggest that to my Partner too Kob. . he hasn't been able to find anything to help. . thanks for your info. . - and nice to see you too Kob. . hope all is well for you. . cheers. . Julie

juliewn, Jul 16, 2:26pm
To use up sweetened condensed milk - no matter how much is left - or use a full can - and make your own creation. . according to what is in your pantry and fridge. . Use 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk (or a full can). . Add some crushed weetbix or other cereals (or a mix of cereals) - enough to make the mix very firm, then add your choice of the following: some cocoa or milo, dried fruit - sultana's, raisins, currants, craisin's, sliced apricots, etc. . chocolate chips or drops, spices - cinnamon or mixed spice, chopped cherries, citrus peel, lots of coconut, some wheatgerm, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts, etc. . etc. . Mix well then place in spoonsful on a baking paper lined tray and bake at 160°C till just beginning to go golden. Leave to cool on the baking paper - and enjoy. .

juliewn, Jul 16, 2:57pm
A creamy rice pudding... in 15 minutes. . yum! I add some sweetened condensed milk to hot rice when we've had dinner - and just feel like *something-else*... Add 1/2 tin or 1 tin (to your taste) of sweetened condensed milk to 3 cups hot rice (microwave 1 cup white rice with 2 cups hot tap water uncovered for 12 minutes on High - or for brown rice zap for 20 minutes on High). Add other goodies if you want - the juice and zest of a lemon is exceptionally good, or use the juice and zest of an orange, or some choccy chips, etc. . etc. . stir together and serve. . yum!

suie1, Jul 18, 10:26am
On the itchy pet topic, it can be their food if you use cheap Supermarket brands that can do it.

juliewn, Jul 20, 1:28pm
Thanks for your post Suie. . :-)

ashanti, Jul 20, 10:49pm
Home made yoghurt Not sure if this has been put on yet
6 cups milk at 45-50 degrees celsius
¼ cup commercially made yoghurt of your choice as a starter

Blend ¼ cup of milk with starter, then add to the balance of the milk, stir well =then place mix in sterilised jars.
Place jars in a small chilly bin in which you have hot water placed- ensure hot water is at least ¾ way up jars.
Place a towel over jars, thenplace a hot water bottle in with your container, but not directly touching the jars within the container wrap in thick towels or a blanket, leaving undisturbed at room temperature away from draughts.
Leave for 7 hours- then remove covers and test. Yoghurt should be set like junket. If you want a more tart flavour leave up to 12 hours. Remove wraps, placecontainers in fridge and chill for 2 hours before using. If using this yoghurt as a starter for a new batch, then the starter should be used within 3 days, as after this time you could get variable results.

..smashpalace.., Jul 22, 11:14am
So proud of myself... Did my first Binn Inn shop today for family of 5, with green grocer and small extras from Home Brand. So far Ive made the soap powder mix (first load in now - time will tell... ), the spreadable butter with the butter, oil and water, AND the home made Baileys (priorities people! ! ! ) And I can say to some degree of certainty the Baileys is superb. (*hic*) Question to whover may be able to help - whats the shelf-life of it, with the cream and all? ?

frances1266, Jul 22, 7:46pm
itchy dog My dog had this problem for years.
It was his food. I stopped buying commercial pet food and now make it but if you keep an eye on what the dog is eating it will help.
I find if I dont have time to make his food and give him commercial he itches on the base of his spine near his tail and it takes 3 weeks for this to stop.

juliewn, Jul 24, 12:33pm
Thanks for your recipe Ashanti - a friend is coming for the weekend and we're going to make some yoghurt, then the yoghurt cheese that's in another thread on here. . lots of goodies to enjoy. . :-)

juliewn, Jul 24, 12:34pm
Hi Frances. . I'll pass that on to my Partner - his dog has had problems needing vet care with itching - thanks for your post. .

juliewn, Jul 24, 12:41pm
Good for you Smashpalace... doesn't it feel great to be in charge of what you are using in your home and your cooking. . and your Bailey's! lol. . I've collected old jars, and some new, over the years, all with lids, or with firmly fitting cork tops, and I have my goodies in those. . I'll be finished building my new kitchen soon - and am already imagining my goodies displayed on curving shelves in my new pantry that I've designed and am building myself - can't wait. . :-). .

juliewn, Jul 24, 12:42pm
Re the Bailey's. . it does taste very good. . one year, I made a Kid's version for Christmas - the same recipe, minus the whiskey - it actually tasted very similar, and adults were enjoying it too. I made a half recipe that way - and made sure it was used fairly quickly as the whiskey contributes to the keeping qualities of the original recipe. The Kid's thought they were cool having little liqueur glasses, the same as the adults. . and there was much exaggerated sipping to be like the adults. . gorgeous to see. . They loved it, and it's a nice memory. . Maybe time to repeat it this coming Christmas... :-) Have a lovely weekend Everyone. . cheers. . Julie

juliewn, Jul 24, 12:46pm
and. . Bumping for Aganu10. . :-)

juliewn, Jul 25, 4:51pm
Hi Everyone. . So many widely available and popular food products are now made overseas, using ingredients grown away from our shores. Other products are made here, though no longer using only New Zealand produced ingredients, as many of the products include a range of imported ingredients. A check of the labels on many available products shows a range of additives and preservatives are also being used. Some ingredients of course aren't grown commercially in New Zealand, including peanuts and some other nuts, banana's, pineapples, coconut, etc. . etc. . However, even with these, we can choose which we want to purchase, by checking labels and supermarket signs.