Mulligatawny soup in the crockpot?

zuggle, Mar 10, 11:13pm
Does anyone have, or can refer me to, a traditional recipe please! Thank you.

maximus44, Mar 10, 11:33pm
I haven't got a specifically crock pot one but I have got a recipe for it in a book I got out of the library called Grandma's Recipes. Would you like it!

fifie, Mar 11, 3:28am
Crockpot Mulligatawny SoupFrom Alison Gofton slow cooker book.
Kg beef bones or oxtail.2 onions diced.2 carrots finely sliced.2 stalks cellery sliced.apple peeled and diced. 3 tblsp flour. 1-2 tblsp curry powder. 1/2 tsp gr pepper. 1/4 tsp ground mace or nutmeg. 1/4 tsp gr cloves. 3/4 cup tomato paste. 1/4 cup mango chutney. 8 cups light beef stock or water. 1/4 cup short or long grain rice.
Heat up cooker, brown bonesand onions, put in cooker with carrots apple celery. Mix tog curry flour pepper mace cloves T/paste chutney stock till smooth Pour over bones stir to mix in vegs cook 6-7 hrs low or 3-5 hrs high. Lift bones from cooker when cool pull meat from bones return meat till cooker add rice and cook a further hour. Serve in a bowl with garnish of tomato chopped red onion chopped and corriander on top and a pile of poppadoms on the side.

zuggle, Mar 12, 12:03am
Yes, please maximus44,and thank you fifie. I'm an artist always experimenting in food as I do with paint, so I shall be delighted to try both your recipes. Many thanks!

maximus44, Mar 12, 8:00am
Mulligatawny Soup from Grandma's Special Recipes.

500g chicken thigh fillets, excess fat removed
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
30g butter
1 onion. finely chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 cups chicken stock
6 whole cloves, tied in muslin
1/3 cup basmati rice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup cream

Coat the chicken in the combined flour, curry powder and turmeric. Heat half the butter in a large pan and cook the chicken over medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes, or until lightly browned; turn frequently. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.

Add the remaining butter to the pan, then add the onion, apple and remaining flour mixture and cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
Return the chicken to the pan along with the stock and cloves.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
Add the rice during the last 15 minutes and cook until it is tender.

Remove the chicken; allow to cool slightly and chop finely.
Remove the cloves and skim any oil from the surface. Return the chicken to the pan. Reheat gently, stir in the lemon juice and cream, but do not allow the soup to boil. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

This is quite different from the crockpot recipe. I hope you enjoy trying both of them.

zuggle, Mar 12, 9:12am
Oh I shall really enjoy that one maximus, absolutely love curry n tumeric etc and with a heart con am very fond of chicken - I can skip the cream or use a substitute. Many thanks for all your trouble.

xmakara, Mar 12, 9:20am
Mulligatawny Soup
Be sure when you make this soup that you let it simmer for at least three hours until the soup reduces substantially. The soup will darken as the flavours intensify, the potatoes will begin to fall apart and the nuts will soften.

4 Litres water (16 cups)
2 Oxo Chicken Cubes
1 Litre chicken stock
3 potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 stalks celery, with tops
1 Eggplant peeled & diced
2 medium onion, chopped
2 cup frozen yellow corn
1 cup canned roasted red pepper, diced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup roasted cashews
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoon hot curry powder
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
dash marjoram
dash nutmeg

1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot over high heat.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce head and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until soup has reduced and is thick and brownish in colour. It should have the consistency of chii. Stir occasionally for the first few hours, but stir often in the last hour. The edges of the potatoes should become more rounded, and the nuts will soften. Serve hot.
Makes 6-8 servings
This is a great recipe but I wouldnt make it in the crockpot as the soup needs to reduce ie simmer with the lid off.

zuggle, Mar 12, 9:38pm
Thanks xmaka for all your trouble, too. Another one to add to my autumn menu! Yummo!

zuggle, Mar 14, 7:56am
Fifie, I tried your recipe the night before last (a very cold one here in Napier) and it was delicious and commented upon with enthusiasm by my partner! I served with Turkish bread slices for dipping. Just perfect, and four generous helpings in the freezer as there's just the two of us. Thanks!
Now to try maximus' one next week.

fifie, Mar 14, 9:06am
Pleased you liked it, with the cold weather weve had this week must get cracking and make some roasted pumpkin and garlic, andtomato soupits great to have a supply in the freezer for winter.