Baking with out butter

Page 1 / 2
neele1, Mar 8, 11:08pm
I would love to know some simple recipes with out using butter can any one help.
Thanks

neele1, Mar 8, 11:09pm
bumping as i need to do some baking and have no butter

245sam, Mar 8, 11:31pm
neele1, what you are wanting/needing to bake (biscuits, cake, loaf, muffins, slice.) and do you have oil!:-))

neele1, Mar 8, 11:36pm
yip i have oil i can bake any thing sweet or savory as long as it is easy

sarahb5, Mar 8, 11:54pm
Sponge - 3 eggs, 3 ozs flour, 3 ozs sugar .But here's a metric versions - personally I don't think you need the 3 different types of flour though

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9598/basic+sponge+cake

245sam, Mar 9, 12:14am
Here's a real easy-to-make cake.
YOGHURT CAKE - well tried and tested - a nice moist cake that also freezes really well.
You need 1 washed empty 125ml yoghurt container.

Place all the following in a mixing bowl in the order given:
3 x 125ml containers self-raising flour
2 x 125ml containers caster sugar
1 x 125ml yoghurt of choice – plain or fruity (apricot is really nice)
1 x 125ml container cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs, beaten

Beat all together until smooth, then bake.
in a 20cm diameter cake tin at 160ºC for approximately 1½ hours
or
in a 20cm diameter ring tin at 160ºC for 1 hour, or until golden.
Ice if you wish but is nice as is. :-))

sarahb5, Mar 9, 12:36am
We used to make that cake at Playcentre with the kids

cookessentials, Mar 9, 12:57am
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too

cookessentials, Mar 9, 12:58am
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
This recipe has been in the family for over 25 years it was given to my Mother a friend in Seattle hence the use of a "bundt" tin. Bundt tins are available for sale in our catalogue. The cake keeps extremely well and freezes beautifully. Just remember to grease tin well with butter and dust with flour,shaking off the excess before filling with mixture.
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
rind 2-3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup sunflower oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt (not low fat)
2-3 tsp lemon juice
2 cups self raising flour
Method:
Beat eggs,oil,sugar and peel together in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Butter and flour a 24cm bundt tin . Bake at 180C for thirty minutes. Test with a cake tester. Let cake rest only 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

elliehen, Mar 9, 1:00am
Love this cake :)

kinna54, Mar 9, 3:48am
I do all my baking with marg, unless butter is on super special price.
DH doesn't eat butter anyway, so rarely have it in the house.
Baking is always good, there is never any leftovers, and I prefer marg for biscuit baking.

books4nz, Mar 9, 10:20am
Use margarine to replace butter in baking recipes - people can't tell the difference - and it's less expensive.

neele1, Mar 13, 9:15pm
thanks once again

stoats, Mar 14, 5:52am
do you use the equivalent like. 4 ozs butter - 4 ozs marg

kinna54, Mar 14, 9:11am
yes exactly the same .
edited to add: I am fairly fussy about brands of marg tho: Meadowlea, Flora, Sunrise are all ok, have even used the low cholestrol is it Olivio! avoid golden Harvest and Budget tho, and I buy on special and put them in the freezer, usually you can pick up 2 for $5 or less in those brands.

elliehen, Mar 15, 12:34am
Margarine makes a lighter cake and most people can't tell the difference, butter a denser one.

Butter is good for biscuits, which leave a buttery 'mouth feel'.I would also use butter for a rich cake like a madeira.

boxsters3, Mar 15, 5:48am
Café Neo’s Date Loaf( it has no butter or oil in it)

2 1/2 cups SR flour ¾ cup brown sugar 2 1/2 cups bran flakes

2 Tbsp golden syrup, warmed (I use microwave)

3/4 cup each; sultanas, sliced almonds or walnuts (I like walnuts best!)

1/2 cup each; chopped apricots, chopped dates

1/4 tspn baking soda 2 1/2 cups cold milk

Preheat oven to 160C.

Grease and line a large loaf tin.

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl. (Mix don’t beat.)

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

(May take a slightly shorter time to bake. Won’t take any longer.)

sarahb5, Mar 8, 11:54pm
Sponge - 3 eggs, 3 ozs flour, 3 ozs sugar .But here's a metric versions - personally I don't think you need the 3 different types of flour though

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9598/basic+sponge+cake

buzzy110, Mar 14, 10:33pm
Sorry. But I can easily tell the difference. Cakes made with margarine taste naff imo.

pickles7, Mar 15, 10:38am
bumping for.poppy62

bunny51, Mar 15, 6:55pm
I replace the butter with oil in muffin recipes and that is usually very successful. Sometimes i replace some of the butter (or oil) with a pot of apple puree or a mashed banana too. (Depending on what type of muffin I am making

cookessentials, Mar 15, 7:32pm
The poster that says they can tell the difference! How! You dont eat cakes and baking ( or so you keep telling us)

lx4000, Mar 15, 7:55pm
BUTTERLESS CHEESE PUFFS

2 Eggs
water

Salt pinch
2 C Flour
2 1/2 tsp BP

1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies of your choice

Break eggs into 1 cup measuring cup and fill with water then pour into bowl, then add another 1 cup of water to a bowl and mix.

Mix dry ingredients and add veggies and cheese and mix.

Add dry to wet and mix till JUST mixed.

Spoon into greased muffin trays.

Bake 20 mins at 180

I like to add a "little bit" of cayenne pepper too:)

buzzy110, Mar 15, 8:08pm
This question is nasty and asked in a nasty way but I will answer it.

Actually, I don't eat a lot of baking. A few times a year for special events and celebrations but not daily, as a lot in here do. I also do get invited to other people's places for meals and have been offered baking made using margarine.

As a thank you a wonderful lady who did not know my eating patterns made me a cake and had it delivered. It was a thing of much beauty and a lot of skill. We spent a lot of time admiring it. My DH was tempted and took one bite and asked me to try it because he thought there was something wrong. I took a bite and knew immediately but I rang the lady to confirm.It was disgusting to us and it was my DH, not me who detected the difference first. I next offered my DD a piece later that day without telling her and she noticed and refused to eat more than one bite. 3 people could taste the difference. We binned it.

Sure the cake was light and fluffy and beautifully formed but surely taste rather than looks should always be the benchmark.

lx4000, Mar 15, 8:35pm
Not nasty, I too wonder how you tell the difference! Yes you can tell the difference between butter and oil, but butter and marg. . . . I have no idea that there would be much difference. As long as the butter was soft when creamed, there shouldn't be much difference in the creaming of.
I should try something made with marg me thinks.