Best ever Irish stew recipe?

pickles7, Mar 8, 5:52pm
buzzy110.you could hide a choko or two in your stew, just a thought.lol

katelyn, Mar 15, 10:39pm
Pot luck dinner Sat does anyone happen to have a really good recipe.Have looked on the net but not much success:)

davidt4, Mar 15, 10:42pm
I googled Irish Stew and got thousands of pages.This one looks fine:

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/irishstew.htm

davidt4, Mar 15, 10:42pm
I googled Irish Stew and got thousands of pages.This one looks fine:

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/irishstew.htm

accroul, Mar 15, 11:32pm
Lol, the Irish Stew I remember as a kid went a bit like this - chuck sliced onions, chopped spuds & carrots into a large pot along with the remains of last night's roast lamb (or was it mutton! - all looks the same when you're 10) cook for a long time. Remove the meat & chop into chunks. Mash the veg a bit, season & add plenty of butter. To serve, put plates on the table along with the cooking pot, a block of butter, more salt & pepper & a bottle of Worcestershire sauce.
I suspect that's how my paternal grandfather made it - a bit like his apple scones which I hasten to add, look nothing like what we expect scones to look like, contain potatoes & take all day to make.

kassie48, Mar 15, 11:54pm
Mums was shoulder chops, onions carrots & seasoning (no stock in younger days). Cover with water, bring to boil & simmer 2 hours. Last half hour (approx) add potatoes. When cooked remove potatoes, thicken then put potatoes back in.

pickles7, Mar 15, 11:56pm
Irish stew

Simple, Delicious, & Nourishing.

I am cooking this over night in a slow cooker.
16 neck chops
2 medium ch onions
6 peeled and chopped carrots
3 tsp salt
2 tsp gr. black pepper
2 cups of water
###1 chopped habanero chili ### A little hot for small children
4 good hand fulls, of chopped up silver beet stalks. [Optional, my family won't eat the whites in silverbeet ]
put cooker on high and turn down to , low.
Cooked 8 hours. The meat is falling off the bones.
I poured the liquid off into a narrow container, the fat was easier to skim off the top without setting it.
return to heat adding a can of drained peas [ mint-less] reserve the liquid,
Add 3 Tbsp of cornflour to the liquid and thicken the stew, add more if you need to.
I served this with , mashed potato, boiled whole carrots, silverbeet greens.

buzzy110, Mar 16, 12:16am
I brown neck chops and saute large chunks of onion. Layer onion, chops and salt in the pot, add water or saved lamb stock from any previous meal and simmer for 2-3 hours till tender.

Drain liquid off and reserve. Cool chops, etc. Refrigerate both overnight.

When you want to make stew, use some of the solidified fat to saute more vegetables (onions, carrots, mushrooms or whatever you like, add the meat back in and the liquid, minus the rest of the solified fat, bring to the boil and simmer for 15mins or until the vegetables are done to your liking.

I then thicken by making a roux.

I usually cook the potatoes separately and decide whether to add them to the stew or serve separately, mashed, or whatever.

Do serve with plenty of vegetables. Steamed leeks and boiled, silverbeet are my favourites with Irish stew. I use a potato masher to squeeze as much water out of the silverbeet as I can then add in lemon juice and butter. I'm a vegephile and usually steam cauliflower and broccoli with the leeks.