Best way to cook pork crackling NOT on the roast?

chynna2, Mar 15, 7:10am
What's the best way to cook extra pieces of pork crackling!I've got a couple of pieces by themselves which I'm going to serve with my roast pork tomorrownight.Any tips would be gratefully accepted!

mackenzie2, Mar 15, 7:21am
I wrap mine in baking paper, then cook it in the microwave, inbursts of 1 minute, doesn't take long to cook, and is so crunchy, prob healthier for you to, as alot of the fat cooks out

chynna2, Mar 15, 7:22am
Wow!I haven't heard of it done that way, but it's so easy and "healthy"!

chynna2, Mar 16, 3:16am
Bumping, for any other suggestions.

samsnan, Mar 16, 3:27am
I put mine under a very hot grill till it spits. You will need to watch it though cause it will burn easy. All the fat will drip into the dish.Yumm

jobasa, Mar 16, 4:10am
put a little rock salt on the skin, put into the oven at 200 C untill it bubbles.

chynna2, Mar 16, 4:36am
Thank you.I will try one of those suggestions tonight.In the future I will try the microwave method, but I have had another guest added to tonight's meal, so have to make sure it all turns out OK! :-)

52many, Mar 16, 4:38am
Or when it spits, all over the oven making a nice greasy mess to clean.lol!
I like the microwave idea though.might try that myself next time!

arielbooks, Mar 16, 4:43am
If doing it in the oven I use a heavy enamel pie dish which renders out the fat well.

gasman64, Mar 16, 1:02pm
I score it, rub in salt and oil. You can place them under the roast on the meatside so they stay moist and the fat renders, then put them out of the juice to crispen up half an hour before ready.

lythande1, Mar 16, 6:04pm
I never leave it on the meat. The idea is to avoid moisture - which is why all the stuff about salt and all that.
Just cut it off, lay it on a rack above the roast (ortray to catch the fat) if on it's own. And cook till crisp. Simple really, no need for any fluffing around and adding stuff to it.

kinna54, Mar 17, 1:57am
Make sure it is **well scored in thin lines right across the piece.** That is the secret**
Rub in marg or oil, (I prefer marg, gives a drier end product) and salt.
Hot oven 220 deg c upwards, it should puff and sizzleand spit as it cooks, and there you go

propagator, Mar 18, 1:47am
Once its scored, rub inoil and salt and cook on high in the George Forman or similar.

makespacenow, Mar 18, 3:33am
Cut into small bits like lardons then season and put in a pot.on the stove.they are delicious drained once nicely browned etc with extra salt and home brew.
Or sprinkled on small potatoe dumplings and to offset their richness use some sour cream and crumbled sheep cheese.google slovak national dish though they use speck style bacon works with pork crackling too.
Or once diced and cooked in pot drain and work into some russian potato style dough add bran flakes etc baking soda carraway seeds and form scone like shapes bake.nice pork crackling snacks to go with few drinks.