Pickled Onions.?

korbo, Mar 15, 4:24am
Last year I made lots of pickled onions using the curry sauce method.
Eaten all the onions, and still have heaps of the sauce left.
Does anyone think I could prepare the onions, and then reuse the sauce.
Seems a shame to waste it. I have been useing it in gravies and casseroles and curried sausages, but still have about 1.5 litres of it.
The recipe calls for mixing the curry ingredients, then cooling, then pouring over the brined onions.
thanks.

cappucino1, Mar 15, 4:37am
http://www.ehow.com/how_5111198_reuse-pickle-juice.html

I realise this article isn't exactly the same as what you are talking about with the curry sauce, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work in the same way.Just as long as your onions are at the stage that they need to be for the sauce then just put them in.

korbo, Mar 15, 8:00am
anyone else.

korbo, Mar 15, 8:05am
wow, what an amazing site cappucino put up. where do people find all these.!

pickles7, Mar 16, 2:06am
This makes me so glad I make my own vinegar. I couldn't think of anything worse than to use old vinegar, you would not have any idea how much water was in it or how much water had been left from the previous veg.simply.yuck!
I have tasted the mustard sauce after the onions were used, definitely would not want to throw out the next lot of pickled ! , if the onion flavour was over strong. I personally would not use it.

clair4, Mar 16, 5:25am
pickles7 is your vinegar recipe easy!I love dipping tomatoes into vinegar, salt and pepper.thanks

dema11, Mar 16, 8:17am
I would just like a good pickle onion recipe :)

juliewn, Mar 19, 9:48am
My favourite Pickled Onions.

Peel onions and place in jars - when making a lot, I do this outside on our BBQ table, on a breezy day, and sit so the wind is going past me from one side of me to the other. and on. and it takes all the eye watering stuff away!

In each jar, place 2-4 tsps brown sugar (or honey if you prefer), and 2 or 3, or up to a tsp of whole black peppercorns.
Fill with cold vinegar, place lids on and you're done.
Leave two weeks before using.

Crunchy and just delicious.

I use malt vinegar - you can also use white or spiced vinegar. You can also add some whole cloves or whole chillies for a hotter, spicier result.

Medium to large onions can also be used. peel and cut into thick rings, place in layers in jars and make as above.
When using them, one circle will fit a slice of bread.

korbo, Mar 19, 7:18pm
juliewn, hello. My mum used to keep her pickled onions in an old stone crock jar in the laundry. If using your recipe, do you think they would be ok, with tinfoil pressed tightly on the top. Did my curry ones in same jar last year and they were fine.Used to put so many in a jar in fridge to get crunchy. Will try yours too.
For fun, wondered if you used white vinegar and put red or green food colouring you could have onions similar to the cocktail onions we had in the 70's. Havent seen them for a while now. thanks.

horizons_, Mar 19, 11:24pm
I luv the curry sauce from your recipe as a stand alone condiment like you would mustard etc. Great on hot/cold meats etc. Dressing for veges/salad maybe.