Recipes to fill a teenage male

kozzies, Apr 3, 9:51am
I'm looking for some ideas for teenage boy snacks to get him away from pies and deep fry - something that I can whip up and leave in tupperware container or fridge or even freezer :) thanks in advance

asue, Apr 3, 9:54am
Wraps, fruit, veg n dips, what does he like!

bernice1, Apr 3, 10:05am
what about scotch eggs!cooked in the microwave they have less fat but are good protein for growing boys.I also used to make up a heap of tortillas with chicken, lamb etc, sauces, cheese and freeze them so they could quickly nuke them.

twindizzy, Apr 3, 10:45am
pasta
vege mash

kozzies, Apr 3, 10:55am
unfortunately thats it, he likes to eat pies and cook chips/nuggets etc in fryer - hes not much of a salad eater and if its not there and ready and minimal input is needed like most teenagers he'll go straight for a pie :(

bev00, Apr 3, 11:41am
Tortilla Stacks make great snacks.
Have C&P courtesy of lizab the following :
Tex-Mex Stack - this is an awesome recipe!

Tex-Mex Mince:

1 kg beef mince
1 can chilli beans
1 onion, diced
2 garlic bulbs, chopped
salt and pepper
2 packets taco seasoning mix
oil for frying

In a frypan or electric pan, put in the oil, add diced onion and garlic, salt and pepper. Fry until transparent.

Add the mince and fry until it is cooked. Add the chilli beans with taco seasoning.

Cook mix for another 10 mins.

The Stack:

1 pkt tortillas
250g tub sour cream
125g tomato paste
The Tex-Mex Mince Mixture
1 cup cheese sauce
1 bunch spinach or silverbeet
1 onion, finely diced
3 tbsp tomato salsa
3 eggs
1 red pepper, finely diced
500g cottage cheese
2 cups grated tasty cheese

Line a very deep 23cm or 28cm round tin with baking paper.

(I haven't got a really really deep tin which you'll need, so find that a deep glass lasagna dish works just as well - you'll just have to tear your tortillas to fit - but it would look more spectacular in a high round shape though! You'll see what I mean when you start assembling the stack - there's masses of mince and cheese mixtures!)

In a bowl combine spinach, onion, eggs, salsa, half cup cheese, cottage cheese, peppers, mix together well. Mix sour cream and tomato paste together.

Place one tortilla in the bottom of the lined tin. Spread with a quarter of the sour cream and tomato paste.

Sprinkle with some of the grated cheese

Spread half of the tex-mex mince.

Place next tortilla, spread with sour cream and tomato paste.

Spread half the spinach mixture.

Continue layers until mixtures are all used. The stack will be higher if you use the smaller tin.

Top off with the cheese sauce and cover with foil.

Cook at 180*C fanbake for 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and bake for 10 mins or until brown.

Quotelizab (134 )8:35 pm, Sat 2 Apr #3

mwood, Apr 3, 8:17pm
teach him to cook

willyow, Apr 3, 8:55pm
Microwave popcornis a lot better than pies for a snack - popular in our house with teenage males ( who also have a dislike of anything green). Banana smoothies are popular after we demonstrated how to make them, smuggling some fruit into teenage males is an art.Show them how to cook packet noodles.

sarahb5, Apr 3, 10:07pm
This - of course my teenage boys would rather have pies, pizza or sausage rolls after school but if there aren't any in the freezer they are more than capable of whipping up a batch of pikelets, a bacon sandwich, scrambled eggs, pasta and sauce .

beebs, Apr 3, 10:50pm
what about pre cook some wedges that he can reheat and top (if he wants with sour cream, cheese and diced peppers, pre do some nacho mix and he can reheat and eat with corn chips

sarahb5, Apr 3, 11:07pm
Or leftovers from previous night's dinner

fle217, Apr 3, 11:35pm
Oatmeal pancakes, creamed rice, spaghetti on toast, toasted sandwiches, pikelets, weetbix!These all work for us.