Is one packet of instant dry yeast equal to

nikkib90, Apr 3, 8:48pm
one tablespoon of dried yeast!This may be a daft question but I am making hot cross buns and it calls for 2 tablespoons of dried yeast and I am using the Edmonds instant dry yeast sachets. Do I use two of them!
(My thinking is one tablespoon is equal to 15 mls so two would be 30 mls which is two sachets but it seems an awful lot of yeast).

245sam, Apr 3, 9:32pm
nikkib90, re the sachets you have - are they JUST yeast or are they like Surebake i.e. yeast + improvers!If the sachets are not JUST yeast you may need to adjust the quantity that you use because if your recipe actually states "dried yeast" IMO that means yeast only and not yeast + improvers (usually aka Surebake/Supabake).

2 tbsp yeast to how much flour!I agree that two yeast-only sachets does seem "an awful lot of yeast" for 1 batch of buns or bread.:-))

nikkib90, Apr 3, 9:44pm
They are Edmonds Sure to Rise Instant Dry Yeast sachets - ingredients state natuarl yeast, emulsifier (491). It is to 4.5 cups of flour in the recipe.hmmmm will find out soon, I used two sachets. May be another of my epic baking disasters ;-)

lilyfield, Apr 3, 9:50pm
one sachet plenty
enough for one loaf of bread, therefore enough for your buns, doubt you will be handling more than 24 at a time

harrislucinda, Apr 4, 1:56am
ihavejustseemthesesachetinnwiseeeachwas9grms
andonmycontainerofdriedyeastfor1loafitsays1/12tsp

lilyfield, Apr 4, 2:16am
that is onetwelfth teesp! How do you measure that!

245sam, Apr 4, 2:52am
lilyfield, IMO harrislucinda's "1/12 tsp" should read 1½ tsp.:-))

pink-dragon, Apr 4, 8:32am
1 teaspoon of yeast is actually 3.2g.2T sounds like an awful lot of yeast
http://www.moderndomestic.com/2011/01/baking-math-common-baking-ingredient-weights/