IS THIS YEAST TOO OLD?

annmary79, Apr 3, 11:35pm
wANT TO MAKE SOME HOT CROSS BUNS,MY YEAST HAS 10 DEC 2011.SHOULD I RISK IT,OR BUY NEW!

cookessentials, Apr 3, 11:52pm
You can test to see if it's ok by putting warm water into a bowl with a small amount of sugar in it.then sprinkle some of the yeast in and see if it froths up after a few minutes.

245sam, Apr 3, 11:59pm
annmary79, is your yeast in a jar or sachets!
I recently found some Edmonds Dry Yeast sachets tucked away in our pantry - their Best Before date is 11/08/10 and they worked perfectly!but none of the sachets have been opened.
If your yeast is in a jar it will depend on how and where you have stored it, but IMO it would most probably be ok. If the yeast is not Surebake/Supabake (i.e. just active-dry yeast) you could easily do a test to see if it is still ok by mixing a small amount of yeast, sugar and warm water, then waiting to see if the mixture becomes frothy - no froth could mean either that the water was too hot OR that your yeast is too old.Without making a test batch ofe.g. bread or buns, I am not sure how you could check that the yeast is ok if it is Surebake/Supabake - hopefully someone else can help you with that - I understand that Surebake/Supabake does not froth as the Active Dry Yeast does.

Hope these thoughts help.:-))

lilyfield, Apr 4, 12:14am
when are people learning to keep their yeast in the deepfreeze! It will last forever that way

annmary79, Apr 4, 12:27am
Thanks,everyone,have tested it and it hads its day.

cookessentials, Apr 4, 1:52am
I buy fresh yeats and freeze it.

kinna54, Apr 4, 4:48am
Buy new! Definitely.
I tried that a couple of weeks ago, had some surebake that was about 5 days past the use by date. definitely a difference in the results.
I usually try to use mine up around 2 weeks ahead of the date, I often have a big bake up and slice and freeze the bread.
Also shop around, a lot of supermarkets have pretty dated stock on their shelves.

chalkiej, Apr 4, 8:40am
I've used out of date (like months) yeast in my breadmaker and haven't found any difference.

ucanchoose, Apr 4, 9:43am
I keep my yeast in the freezer and still got perfect results on Monday from product that "expired" in Dec 2010.