Recipe required for "Coffee slice"

tasarla, Apr 2, 12:05am
Does anyone have a nice recipe for a coffee slice - with a cake-type texture rather than crisp!My mother used to make a really nice "coffee square", but the recipe was never written down.It was cooked in a sponge roll tin.

jessie981, Apr 2, 12:14am
There are recipes for an uncooked slice in lefthand message board. Hopefully someone can help

ellie04, Apr 2, 3:15am
Coffee Slice

4oz butter - melted
1/2 tin condensed milk
1 tbsp coffee (chickory) essence
1 cup coconut
1 packet crushed biscuits (vanilla wine) - I use Arnotts Nice biscuits
1 tsp vanilla essence

Melt butter, condensed milk and coffee essence in pot. Crush biscuits and add coconut and vanilla essence. I tend to blitz mine in a food processor.

Press into a sponge roll tin.

Make usual icing - icing sugar, butter, coffee essence and hot water to blend.

This is delicious and is always a weclomed treat.

rainrain1, Apr 2, 3:19am
I had one once too, and have been trying to find it for you, but to no avail I'm sorry to say.I can taste it as I write.

elliehen, Apr 2, 3:42am
Wonder if you could make this in a larger pan, with some tweaking of cooking time!

tasarla, Apr 2, 8:33am
Me too!My mother was a superb cook and the "coffee square" she used to make was divine.It had a firmer texture than a normal cake, but not as firm as Louise Cake or Ginger Crunch.I know my mother and her friend shared their recipes, so maybe it's still around in that family's cookbook somewhere.I will try the ones posted though in the meantime.Thanks everyone.:-)

dotty23, Apr 2, 10:32am
My MIL makes one with a sortcakey type of base, then a coffee caramel kind of topping.Does this sound like it!If so, I'll source the recipe for you.

marcs, Apr 2, 10:52am
Jo Seagar's cappachino date slice which is your coffee slice but take the dates out.

http://joseagar.com/recipes/category:baking-and-treats/cappuchino-date-slice/

bigmacker, Apr 2, 7:25pm
I have no coffee and chicory essence. Can I use instant coffee and if so how much to replace 1 Tblsp Chicory essence!

ellie04, Apr 2, 10:51pm
You can definitely use instant coffee - I did the first time I made my slice.I did a heaped tablespoon of coffee and about a quarter of a cup of hot water.

tasarla, Apr 4, 5:25pm
I've made Jo Seager's date one, but the texture is more soft and like a cake though.The recipe my mother used was much firmer - it was popular with everyone who had a cuppa with her at home.

tasarla, Apr 4, 5:26pm
That would be really good - thank you.:-)