What to cook for family sunday lunch without

monty4ever, Apr 3, 8:37pm
What can I cook for a special sunday lunch withouth the fuss of a roast meal for my grown up family all coming home to christen the new dining table :)

jimmy2102, Apr 3, 8:51pm
Either a glazed ham with salads and fresh bread, or a beef cube roll cooked on the bbq if you have a hood.yum and easy for a crowd.

valentino, Apr 3, 9:52pm
Mad Butcher have a Garlic, sesame peppered chunk of beef (by Hellabys).

This is great done in a slow cooker (nothing added) the day before for about 6 hours Maximun time on high (if a small piece - cook on high and lower to slow after 4 hours) then cooled then wrapped in foil and refrigerated overnight.

Superb to be sliced thinly or good size say 1/2 to 1cm thick served with salad greens, tomatoes, a nice mayo and fresh buns.

The meat is so tender that even a toothless mouth can chew the meat.

Cheers.

sarahb5, Apr 3, 10:06pm
Lasagne, green salad and garlic bread - that would be my pick

monty4ever, Apr 3, 11:25pm
Yum - thanks for suggestions so far.Sarahb5 - unfortunately my husband would thank me for Lasagne.Doesn't eat pasta :(

monty4ever, Apr 3, 11:26pm
oops - meant "wouldn't" thank me.Need another coffee

olishea, Apr 4, 12:44am
Whole load of roast veges (potato, kumara, pumpkin, carrot) with bacon, sour cream, spring onion, sweet chilli sauce and cheese. Especially on a cold winter day (my fave thing my dad cooks when I head back home from uni, home comfort food at its best)

stevee6, Apr 4, 12:51am
Butterflied chicken marinated in lemon and honey with sprigs of rosemary - just roast them(each chicken serves around 6) for around 30 mins and pull apart to serve. Fabulous with a salad and sourdough loaf.

indy95, Apr 4, 1:01am
Does your family enjoy a curry ! It can be made a day or two in advance and reheated when needed and the accompaniments don't need a lot of effort.

sarahb5, Apr 4, 1:25am
That's a shame as it's so easy - what about moussaka!You can use either eggplant or potato

valentino, Apr 4, 1:42am
Hmmm, if you really want to celebrate a little of your new dining table then do a platter served with chilled pink and white bubbly grape juice.

One could use as the main dish something like a whole Salmon beetroot cured so everyone can thinly slice a slither and place on a nicely toasted slice of french bread and have on a platter various titbits like pickled onions siced, spring baby carrots very lightly steamed prior and also thin sliced, some various cheeses, strips of raosted pickled capsicum (comes in a jar and found at Countdown), plickled artichokes, or whatever one feels like. plus a little sampling of nice salad greens.

Toasted bread of top quality is also lovely but holds a lot of fillings which could be a little bit over the top.

Instead of salmon as such, one could get those smoked salmon already sliced packs.
Now, that would be a celebration and a good talking point over and at your new table.
Editing my ludricous typing errors.

Cheers.

very_hotpants, Apr 4, 1:57am
Slow cooker - casserole, leg of lamb or a beef. We put vege and spuds in with it. Easy as

olishea, Apr 4, 2:04am
Curries are also great done in slow cooker, also a cheaper alternative as you can buy cheaper cuts of meat!

elliehen, Apr 4, 3:19am
Love the platter idea.I like to do a Middle Eastern one with vege fritters, felafel, hummus, dipping sauces, unleavened bread, olives etc

Gathering around a platter is a lot of fun for a family.

monty4ever, Apr 4, 8:55pm
Thanks guys - lots to work on.Looking forward to a great catch up with family around the new table - with a few "fantas" too no doubt :)