"theme" ideas for potluck dinners?

katewest, Apr 11, 6:30am
I realise they aren't usually themed! But.we find it easier sooooo.any good ideas out there! We've done "comfort food" (curry-yum), roast, pizzas. Was thinking maybe italian and do pasta, but was hoping there might be some other thoughts out there! Only a few of us involved so tends to be 1 on starter, 2 on mains, 1 on dessert and 1 whatever

alegnak, Apr 11, 6:37am
My friend group is doing something similar, although the host of the night is doing all the food.So far we've had: degustation, tapas, roast, and the next two on the line up are: thai, and pizzas in an outdoor pizza oven.Asian food and tapas would be really good for a pot luck.You could do a decade foods list (fondue, etc from the 70s), or fast food kiwi style (all home-made).Have fun with your dinners!

jmori, Apr 11, 6:43am
Old style Kiwiana. Match the food to the wine/drink. I went to a 70s potluck one night (as above) & that was fun & yum! Favourite dish from childhood.
I just googled & this has some ideas =)
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/378547
I like your idea of doing this & has got me thinking.

bexkee, Apr 11, 6:47am
One of the best I attended was an international theme. We were all allocateda country. The hostess had found little flags and put them on the food as we arrived. It was so interesting and everyone really made an effort. Some even dressed up in traditional costume.

horizons_, Apr 11, 6:52am
Retro, bad taste, posh, raw, childhood memories, royal, cultural, weid, fondue, un birthday, pink, black, soft, hot.

ruby19, Apr 11, 7:07am
Moroccan, mexican, mince. A few mums did this as their husbands who never cooked always said they hated mince :-)
Dishes starting with a certain letter of alphabet.
Greek.bring out the chipped crockery and let rip. No dishes.

iman007, Apr 12, 2:20am
i went to a murder mystery dinner, someone got the pack from somewhere, we all given characters and was set in 70s, someone even got some hooter out, was a real blast!
i think my name was charlie phuket!