Has anyone made sicilian apple cake?

jimmy2102, May 9, 5:36am
have you got a tried and tested recipe please!

bernice1, May 9, 8:05am
Sicilian Apple Cake
50g/2OZ of walnut pieces
120g/4 OZ butter, melted
1/2 kg/1 lb of apples, cored and sliced
1/2 a lemon, zest and juice
150g/5OZ plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 eggs
250g/9OZ sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
100 mls milk
1/4 of a cup of raisins
1/8 of a cup of pine nuts
1 tablesppon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Lots of bowls

Toast the walnuts in the oven at 170C/340F for about 10 mins. Make sure they don't burn.
Line a 23cm cake tin with baking paper. Pour a little of the melted butter into the tin and sprinkle over the toasted walnuts.
In a bowl, mix the sliced apples with the lemon zest and juice.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder
In a third bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence. Mix in the milk and the rest of the butter. Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
Pour half the batter over the walnuts in your cake tin. Arrange half of the apples, juice and zest over the batter and sprinkle over half the raisins. Pour the rest of the batter into the tin and arrange the rest of the apples, zest and juice and sprinkle over the rest of the raisins. Lastly sprinkle on the pine nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Bake at 170C/340F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The cake may even take a little longer than that to cook. It should be set but still moist. Cover the top with baking paper if it begins to brown while cooking.

rrrg, May 9, 9:28am
I make this recipe often - its great

jimmy2102, May 9, 9:59am
Yum, thanks bernice, am going to make this tomorrow for a dinner party friday night:-)

guest, Jan 11, 9:50am
In the coaiepcmtld world we live in, it's good to find simple solutions.

guest, Jan 13, 2:07pm
You really make it seem so easy with your prisentateon but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!