Curry. What veggies as a side dish?

ange164, May 10, 5:02am
Hi all. When I make a curry ( a mild lamb with coconut milk) I feel like the bit of veggies in the curry aren't enough, and there are no greens in it. So what sort of vegetable dish goes as a side to curry! It appears to me after looking through google that they just don't Have side dishes much. Sort of one pot meals really.

nunesy, May 10, 5:14am
Yes, usually it doesn't come with sides, especially if it's mild.Most curries would be served with a good helping of rice, or some form of flatbread ie naan, roti, even lebanese breads etc, to soak up the sauces. I know these aren't veges, so you could do just some blanched green beans, with a little olive oil splashed on and toasted almonds if you want to make it fancier. or a mix of small brocolli florets, snap peas and the beans done the same way!Not cooked for too long so they've still got a bit of crunch to them to complement the curry/rice.

kinna54, May 10, 5:46am
I always have a flavoured naan bread, but I like my greens as well, tonite we are having sauteed cabbage alongside our korma, but I often have beans, or broccoli and pumpkin is a lovely accompaniment as well.

Depending upon the type of curry, side dishes of ribbon cucumber and spring onions and a bit of freshly chopped tomato is nice

elliehen, May 10, 5:53am
I have Rocket with everything ;)

clareo, May 10, 5:54am
I always do green beans with it.

davidt4, May 10, 5:55am
There is a huge range of Indian vegetable dishes.Here's one that I often make to accompany mild coconutty curries.If you want any other recipes just ask.

Cauliflower and Tomato Curry

1 cauliflower (or two heads of broccoli)
100g butter, ghee or coconut oil
½ tsp whole cumin seeds
1 largebrown onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
5 cm fresh ginger root, washed and chopped
600g tomatoes, diced 1cm
2 black cardamom pods, crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli flakes
Salt
OPTIONAL: A few pinches of asafoetida.
Some fresh coriander to sprinkle on top.

Cut up the cauliflower into florets, wash and drain.
Heat fat in a large pan on high heat. Add whole cumin seeds, and stir until they sizzle. Add sliced onions, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until they start to turn golden. Add tomatoes, and continue to stir-fry about three to five minutes, until tomato chunks start to break down.
Add cardamom, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and asafoetida, stir fry until they are mixed well with the tomato and onion mixture. Add cauliflower to pan and continue frying for about five minutes, stirring occasionally so they are covered with sauce. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Turn heat down to low and cook 10 - 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Turn cauli over occasionally.Sprinkle coriander on top.

m41, May 10, 7:27am
Most Indian are vegetarians so just google or invest in a descent cook bookas the vegie curries varies from place toplace
i love potato in my curry or spinachbut you can do, Aloo (potato) curry or pumkin gurry or bean or even a dahl (lentil ) curry.

m41, May 10, 7:30am
Also Indians eat a lot of pickles and salsa type chutneys (Fresh tom cucumber ) also

neo_psy, May 10, 7:39am
I do potato and cauli cooked with cumin, cumin seeds and a little yoghurt :)

antoniab, May 10, 8:41am
I wouldnt say most, most dont eat beef but are happy to eat chicken, lamb and pork, but agree, I LOVE potato and spinach saag aloo and dahls mmm OP try find a madhur Jaffery cookbook - I have her vegetarian one and an old one both which has awesomevery tasty recipes, havent had 1 fail yet! :)

ange164, May 10, 8:44am
Thanks all for the ideas and recipe. I shall go forth and conquer.