Scone recipe

pr0ud-mum-of-1, May 12, 7:50am
Right i need a scone recipe with plain flour and baking powder, The edmonds one says 3 cups of flour and 6 teaspoons of baking powder, is that correct, im being told thats too much baking powder etc! what are your thoughts

olwen, May 12, 8:09am
That would be level teaspoons.

honeybean, May 12, 8:11am
no that would be right -I make one with 5 tsp baking powder.
______________________________-
3 cups flour
5 tsp baking powder
sugar to taste
sultanas if wanted

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl . Add sultanas.
Melt butter with water and mix with butter milk into dry ingredients.
Mix to a soft dough with a knife ( quick as you can - do not over mix)
put on baking paper on baking tray and shape in to a square then cut in to 12 pieces. Put them about 2cm apart.Bake for 10-12 mins at220 degrees.
These are really soft and yummy. And really quick to make.

245sam, May 12, 8:12am
pr0ud-mum-of-1, if replacing self-raising flour with plain flour and baking powder, opinions vary between 1-2 tsp baking powder per 1 cup flour but IMO for scones especially 2 tsp baking powder per cup of flour would definitely not be too much for nice light fluffy scones.

Hope that helps.

gennie, May 12, 8:18am
Yes, has a lot of BP.I use one similar to the one above.
For every cup of flour, 2 t of BP, pinch of salt and 25g of butter to rub in. (Justmultiply out to how big a batch you want.) and then add enough buttermilk to make a first mixture. (buttermilk will freeze fine if you are worried about having left overs and not using it).The buttermilk is what makes the scone very tender and it reacts with the BP to help create a light scone.

honeybean, May 12, 8:22am
I only started using buttermilk recently - have made scones for years - but these are the best ones I have tried.We often have them for Sunday lunch after srambled eggs. :-)