Refreezing defrosted meat - yes or no?

nunesy, May 11, 5:35am
Can never remember the rules for freezing meat: I defrosted way too much chicken mince and don't have time tonight to make the excess into something else.Can I refreeze it!Otherwise will keep it in the fridge til tomorrow and make one of the amazing recipes I just found on here. but if possible would like to save it for a future time.Thanks.

cookessentials, May 11, 5:43am
You can make something, cook it and THEN re-freeze. You cannot defrost raw meat and then re-freeze without cooking.

nunesy, May 11, 5:46am
Thanks, had a feeling that was it!Right, tomorrow's job is fancy Thai meatballs a la brianmac to make and freeze for another 'guest is coming and need something yum' time :-)Thanks very much.

cookessentials, May 11, 9:11am
Ah my Thai meatballs, hope you enjoy them

grandma, May 11, 9:54am
Recipe please!

cookessentials, May 11, 10:00am
Thai Chicken Balls
Makes about 50 walnut sized balls.1 kg chicken mince;80g fresh breadcrumbs;4 spring onions,sliced;1 tbsp ground coriander;50g chopped,fresh coriander;60ml sweet chilli sauce;1-2 tbsp lemon juice;oil for shallow frying. Mix the mince,and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Add the spring onions,ground & fresh coriander;chilli sauce & lemon juice,to taste, mix well. With wet hands,form into evenly shaped walnut-sized balls. Preheat oven to 200c. Heat about 3cm oil in deep frying pan to 180c,or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds.Shallow fry the balls in batched over high heat until golden. Bake on baking tray for 5 mins or until cooked through.

duckmoon, May 11, 11:08am
I would cook, then refreeze.

Even if you just fry it up . And into the freezer

lythande1, May 11, 6:48pm
Sure you can, I do it often.

kob, May 11, 8:44pm
jeepers no way would i do this, when you buy meat make sure its packaged in managable portions, you are badly at risk of so many things buy refreezing already defrosted meat.DONT DO IT

doomy999, May 11, 8:49pm
rubbish.
do it all the time.

Not sure why they say you cant but and yes i know the rule is you are not supposed to but I think its a load of old dogs cobblers.
I have been doing it my whole life with out ever striking a problem.

grandma, May 11, 9:40pm
Thanks for your recipe cookessentials - sounds delish!

jag5, May 11, 10:00pm
As long is there is still some ice in and around the meat.not a problem.otherwise cook it then refreeze.

lythande1, May 11, 11:16pm
Myth #5: Once Thawed, Food Cannot Be Refrozen Without Cooking It First

You can freeze and refreeze to your heart’s content as long as the food has not been left outside the fridge for more than 2 hours (or 1 hour in 90-degree heat). One point to be aware of is that refreezing anything uncooked, especially meat, will degrade the quality due to the loss of moisture in the thawing process.

earthangel4, May 11, 11:23pm
Thank you cooks,will add this one to my recipes.

kuaka, May 12, 9:31am
I seem to recall reading somewhere years ago that when commercial frozen food meals/veg first came on the market, lots were returned to the manufacturers as being unsuitable once they had been defrosted, re-frozen and then used.Apparently "Birds Eye" who were one of the first to get in to the frozen packaged foods market were concerned about the amount of product being returned to them because it didn't "look right" so they put out the warning that "once defrosted do not refreeze" - not because of any danger, but just because the food didn't look so good, was being returned and was costing them too much in refunds.So with that in mind, I would say, go for it, but with raw chicken I would be more cautious, and make absolutely sure that whilst it was defrosted, it was completley hygienic and refrozen in sterile conditions and then when finally used, was cooked thoroughly.