Quick easy pot luck dinner ideas.please :)

sunny119, May 13, 10:00pm
am going to a pot luck dinner tonight and have gone blank. Any ideas for a nice easy savory something!

cookessentials, May 13, 10:04pm
Are you wanting a side dish or a main!

taurus2005, May 13, 10:07pm
lasagne!

sunny119, May 13, 10:12pm
thanks, taurus.
Was hoping to do something that i dont need to retrieve a dish. Something that is happy to sit on diposable plates. Side or main, theres going to be quite a few of us, a mothers day clelbration for girl guides

smudge75, May 13, 10:18pm
Little ham and egg quiches! Make them in your muffin tray. Delish

sunny119, May 13, 10:24pm
cheers smudge!

elliehen, May 13, 10:57pm
For 'quick and easy', a ready-rolled butterpuff pastry square (or two), scored about 2 cm from the edge with a knife and the centre painted with tomato/basil sauce and then lightly topped with cheese and baked on hot pre-heated tray.Cut into smallish squares for finger-eating.

liamjosh, May 13, 11:01pm
I have started doing my pot luck dinners and dinners for friends in those tinfoil ones you buy from the supermarket. They are the perfect size and don't have to retrieve them.I keep a pack in my cupboard all the time now. so handy!

liamjosh, May 13, 11:01pm
Mac cheese with some fresh bread

chatsmom, May 13, 11:03pm
Savory pinwheels - can made with either puff pastry or scone dough.
Roll out (or buy pre rolled pastry), spread sauce then toppings and cheese. Roll and cut.
Suggestions: Tomato sauce, chopped ham, salami, pepper
Sweet chilli sauce, chopped chicken, pepper, broccoli

sunny119, May 13, 11:17pm
They sound good!

elliehen, May 13, 11:26pm
Richard Till has a cookbook out titled 'Kitchen Sink'. In it he has a recipe his mother used to make called pinwheels - puff pastry sheets spread with variations on mashed potato, rolled and chilled in the fridge before slicing into 1/2 cm widths and baking.

Here are fisher's variations on mashed potato:
fisher wrote:

Mashed Potatoes
My Favourite Cut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing.

(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2 spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together.
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together. Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce.
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce.
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley.

.suitable for the pinwheels.

cookessentials, May 13, 11:44pm
Zuchinni Slice
5 eggs
150gself-raising flour, sifted
375g zucchini, grated
1 large onion, finely chopped
200g rindless bacon, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
60mlvegetable oil

Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through

beausun, May 13, 11:47pm
I always do a potato bake for pot luck dinners. It always is well received. The foil dish idea is a very good one.

sunny119, May 14, 12:45am
Thanks heaps eveyone!

lilyfield, May 14, 1:28am
take an extra large salad, there is never enough veg on a pot luck dinner