1 onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp curry powder (optional)
salt/pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
1 cup cream
3 granny smith apples
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 litre chicken or vege stock
120g wedge of a sharp blue cheese - Stilton is wonderful, but you may prefer a milder creamy blue.

Garnish: Extra 4 tbsp cream, chopped chives and
extra crumbled blue cheese to garnish

Peel and roughly chop the kumara, and apples.
Melt butter in a saucepan until foaming and add the apple pieces. Sprinkle the brown sugar over and toss around. Cook a few minutes until the apples start to caramelise and turn sticky. Add the onions, kumara, and curry powder and cook gently further 5 minutes while flavours mingle. Add the stock, cover and cook until the kumaras are tender. Process until smooth. Return to pan, add the cream and reheat, crumbling in the cheese just to melt through. Adjust seasoning. Serve, garnishing with a swirl of cream, some crumbled blue cheese and a sprinkle of chives.

elliehen, Apr 9, 2:15am
I posted this one and jessie981 quoted it later on. It's delicious!

eastie3, Jan 13, 9:08pm
Hi Korbo, this is my favourite soup but it does include celery - although someone in my family who dislikes it doesn't realise it's there. It is a Digby Law recipe, from his Soup cookbook.

4 med kumara
1/2 med head of celery
chicken stock
salt and white pepper
1 clove garlic
300ml cream
Peel and chop the kumara, and place in saucepan with enough chicken stock to cover.
Bring to the boil and simmer until almost tender. Add the roughly chopped celery and cook a further 5 mins. Blend the vegetables and return the puree to the pot. Season and add the garlic and cream. If too thick, dilute with extra chicken stock. Heat through and can serve garnished with extra celery leaves, although I don't do this for the non-celery eater as it would give the game away.

Edited for spelling