Would you eat 2 year old frozen pork?

Page 1 / 2
junktion, May 13, 4:56am
Close friends of ours have just gone overseas and given us all of their freezer food that they hadn't eaten but there is a leg of pork that has a date on it of 2010 - would I be able to slow cook this or is it just too old !

patxyz, May 13, 4:56am
I would

r.g.nixon, May 13, 4:57am
I would, as long as it was a good freezer (-18 or near).

dezzie, May 13, 5:12am
Sure as long as it wasn't freezer burnt.

yjeva, May 13, 5:21am
I wouldn't expect it to be as good as new but I would certainly use it.

junktion, May 13, 5:29am
thanks for that guys - so now can any of you tell me what I should put it in the slow cooker with!I am a novice to frozen meat and also slow cookers.

bookshelves, May 13, 5:37am
Don't add any water - just add some flavourings you like - I add sage, onions and garlic and do it on low for around 8-10 hours.Sooo yummy - the meat should just fall off the bone.

You can then take it out and cut off the rind (scraping off the fatty bits underneath) and rub the rind with salt and a little oil and blast it on a very hot oven until golden and crunchy.

Use the juices in the bottom of the slow cooker to make a gravy - I like to add it to a pan, then mix with the stick blender to break up the onions and bring to boil, thicken with a paste of flour and water if needed.Salt, pepper.

dezzie, May 13, 5:38am
Well, you can defrost the meat easily enough, but I've not done pork roast in the slow cooker so can't help with that.

paora808, May 13, 5:38am
Spuds, carrots ,onions, and a couple of quartered apples.

beaker59, May 14, 1:52am
Don't do the pork for a special occasion and if for dinner have a standby long frozen pork and chicken can get freezer taint which is an almost rancid taste to the fat. Its not really a food safety issue just a bit of a nasty taste. I had it once with a large pork shoulder which I in the end fed to the neighbours dog and went down to the chippy for dinner.

pickles7, May 14, 2:18am
no . I would not turn my oven on, for it.

tjman, May 14, 3:37am
No I wouldn't .My freezer indicates that pork lasts in the freezer for only 6 months.

lythande1, May 14, 4:10am
It's fine iff not freezer burnt. Recommended times for meat storage is to do with quality not any myth it will poison you. It can loose quality - as in texture isn't as good and so on. Stewed, casseroled, should be fine so long as it doesn't look wrecked.

And how is it you don't know about frozen meat! You so rich or have so much time you buy it fresh every day!

catlover28, May 14, 4:12am
Yuck no!

m41, May 14, 9:05am
eww no !

korbo, May 14, 8:11pm
We had a small roast of venison last night, had date of nov 09. It wasnt freezer burnt, and hubby said it was one of the nicest we have had.
It was home caught.
Chicken, I would be wary of eating more than a year old tho.
I know of a farming couple, that had 3 super large freezers, and sometimes items could be 10 yers old. they both lived until their early 90's. They froze almost every food you could think of.

spot20, May 14, 8:33pm
I love that, its just so true.I think we have become so paranoid about our food! Bet those oldies also had a huge vege garden!

mackenzie2, May 14, 9:00pm
Yip, I would eat it to. I cook small pork roasts in the slow cooker, I put them on a bed of onion and apple, and if I have it a few fresh sage leaves, Makes beautiful gravy

nfh1, May 14, 10:08pm
If it was frozen immediately, it may be fresher than some of the stuff you get at the supermarket - especially the specially marinaded products.

mothergoose_nz, May 14, 10:17pm
you have a 2 in 100000 chance of getting gullaine-barre.if you have seen what that does to you its risky eating anything old out of the freezer.FIL had it and we wonder if that is how he got it.

nfh1, May 14, 10:20pm
Would something last 2 years in the freezer to make you ill!

lilyfield, May 14, 11:09pm
It is not going to make ayone ill, just not as nice as 'younger" meatand may have freexer burn which does not make you ill either. Eat it or waste it- up to the OP

beaker59, May 14, 11:28pm
Only real risk is rancidity which is not dangerous just tastes foul. Pork and chicken are susceptable red meats much less so particularly almost fat free wild game. Not really a food safety issue unless you have had a freezer malfunction.

rainrain1, May 15, 12:41am
Gotta last longer than that in mine and still taste good

whiskey13, May 15, 12:58am
And not one person has posted that it was a lovely gesture on your friends part to help lower your food bill for the next few weeks.