Apple crumble with pastry bottom

jambee1, May 15, 12:09am
Never put pastry on bottom before, should I bake it blind first! Will it go soggy! Any advice appreciated.going to friends for dinner and the men requested this!

sarahb5, May 15, 12:22am
So it's apple pie but with a crumble topping!You wouldn't normally bake an apple pie "bottom" blind so I don't think I'd bother with this either but I also think I'd be ignoring the men and doing it the way I usually do since I'm the one making it!

245sam, May 15, 12:25am
Neither have I but your posting reminded me of a recipe in one of Alison Holst's books - I have often looked at it but not yet tried the recipe which is for Apple Crumble Pie.The recipe uses short pastry which is NOT baked first, then the pastry lined flan tin is filled with shredded or finely chopped unpeeled apples and a topping of flour, rolled oats or oat bran, white or brown sugar, mixed or other spice, butter.If you'd like the full recipe please do ask, otherwise I hope the above helps.:-))

pickles7, May 15, 8:36am
Another way, is using a sweet paste bottom, freezing a little pastry and grating it over the top.
I too would bake what I wanted too. A tried and true recipe will go down well on the day.

eljayv, May 15, 9:19pm
I made one a couple of days ago but I just used the shortcake recipe from Alison Holsts ancient food processor book.Pressed into bottom of dish, precooked apple on top and then crumble or some of the shortcake mix grated over .
1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 125grams very soft butter, 1 cup s/r flour, 1 cup plain flour.

indy95, May 16, 12:48am
245sam, reading this thread has brought back very fond memories of Alison's recipe for the Apple Crumble Pie.I no longer have her books so I would appreciate that recipe when you have time to post it. Thank you very much in anticipation.

jambee1, May 16, 9:34pm
thanks everyone.I tried the sweet pastry bottom, did not blind bake, but it was soggy. Am going to try blind baking it today-then cooking top etc

and then will go back to normal service if this doesnt work LOL

thanks again :)

jambee1, May 16, 9:34pm
and yes I always eat half the pastry before it gets in the dish.

seano7, May 17, 4:29am
The recepie is a german apple crumble.
Method sweet pastry lay at the bottom make sure some baking paper ios at the base lay the pastry down like you are making a pie. you need apples peel and roll them in some rum to your taste and some brown sugar. lay them down on your pastry. One really yummie i have made in many restraunts is filling it up with uncooked custard with a egg youlk pour over the apples and then finish with your crumble mix and bake for 40 mins at 180 and oh my gosh very very yum

gardie, May 17, 6:36pm
Brush the pastry with beaten egg yolk first - this helps seal it.Sprinkle over about a tablespoon of semolina - this absorbs extra juice.Result - crisp, well cooked pastry.
I also think for best results it is best to use precooked apples - a tin of pie apple, or simmered and cooled first.

245sam, May 17, 9:22pm
indy95, my apologies for the seemingly slow response to your request for the following recipe.We have just enjoyed a couple of days away from homewith our SIL and daughter to attend her Vic Uni graduation ceremony so here now is the recipe for you.

APPLE CRUMBLE PIE
150g-200g short pastry
½ cup flour
½-¾ cup rolled oatsoroat bran
¾ cup whiteorbrown sugar
1 tsp mixed (or other) spice
75g very cold butter, cubed
4 apples

Put the flour, oats, sugar, spice and butter in a food processor bowl.Press with metal chopping blade until butter is evenly mixed - do not over-process or dough will form.Put aside.Alternatively combine the ingredients using a pastry blender or fingers.
Shred or finely chop the unpeeled apples using the food processor or a grater.Mix ¼ of the crumble with the apple.Spread into the pastry-lined flan tin (or a greased baking dish).Top with the remaining crumble mixture.
Bake at200°Cforabout 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
Serve warm with custard, icecream or whipped cream.
Serves 4-6.
Note:The pastry is, of course, optional – this can be made as an Apple Crumble if the extra time is not available for lining the flan tin.:-))

245sam, May 17, 9:25pm
jambee1, just a thought.Note that in Alison Holst's recipe (above), part of the crumble mixture is mixed with the apples - IMO that would help overcome (presumably prevent) the likelihood of a soggy pastry bottom.:-))

indy95, May 17, 10:04pm
245sam, no need to apologise at all. Graduation ceremonies are such special occasions and they certainly come way, way ahead of posting recipes. It must be 30 years since I made this so I will indulge in a fit of nostalgia this weekend. Thank you for posting it.

245sam, May 17, 10:51pm
Thanks indy95 - you're very welcome.This graduation ceremony was indeed very special - our DD's third one (her first at Vic Uni, the previous two were at Canterbury) so was a post grad one and different in that the course entailed many many long and disciplined hours of reading, writing and study, mostly at home rather than actually at Uni, and this on top of holding down a very responsible full time job.
Hope your nostalgia dessert goes well - please let us know how it goes.I have always just gone with the crumble topping rather than the pastry base as well, in the interests of convincing myself that it's healthier but a slice of pie always looks so nice so I may even be tempted to give this pie a try and ignore the attempt to be healthier which of course goes by the by anyway if icecream is the accompaniment.:-))

indy95, May 17, 11:05pm
Well, as the recipe contains both apples and rolled oats it must surely be " healthy " ! That's what I'm going to tell myselfanyway as I enjoy a slice with a generous (very) dollop of ice cream or Greek-style yoghurt on top !
By the way, congratulations to your daughter. She is obviously a very smart and disciplined person who will succeed at anything she does. All those years of studyseem never-ending at the time but are ultimately worthwhile.