Can drinking glasses be used to cook in?

nunesy, May 7, 5:55am
Probably a dumb question. but I want to make individual servings of peach cobbler.So instead of putting it in a cake tin or casserole dish, I want to cook it in single servings.Will glasses stand the heat! my recipe uses 165 degrees C.Otherwise I could transfer it but it would get messy and not look as good. thanks.

rainrain1, May 7, 6:03am
i wouldn't risk it it i were you.no

wheelz, May 7, 6:04am
hmm I would doubt it, they are made for cold or cool drinks.

jessie981, May 7, 6:04am
I wouldn't risk it. Have you got small tinfoil dishes or similiar you can use!

unknowndisorder, May 7, 6:04am
I'd be tempted to go buy some ramekins, rather than risk it, but that's typical me.

I know I do use a glass of water when heating up my wheat bag, but that's only a couple of minutes in the microwave.

Others might have tried & be able to give you a better answer, but my thought was a cringe.

chontizzle, May 7, 6:41am
ok ive done this.dont do it! i doesnt work, just.no.

nunesy, May 7, 6:48am
Hmmm so a resounding no then!How about jam jars!I've seen pictures of muffins/cupcakes cooked in jars. maybe the glass is sturdier!Otherwise will just cook it in bulk and attempt to put it in the glasses without turning it into a sloppy mess :-)I reckon if I throw a nice big dollop of whipped cream on top my guests won't fuss.

elliehen, May 7, 7:18am
Ceramic ovenware ramekins would be very elegant for a Cobbler.Does it really have to be glass!

nunesy, May 7, 7:24am
:-)I just like how things look when you can see through the sides - like trifle in a glass bowl etc.I like seeing the layers etc.No worries.

natalie9, May 7, 7:41am
Buy some pyrex individual dishes then if you like the glass!

cookessentials, May 7, 7:45am
No. You would be better to put them into individual ramekins or pudding cups. If you bake cobbler in a drinking glass, it will explode.

leebee35, May 7, 7:47am
Dont do -remember that brown glass coffee cups. Ive seen many exploding glasses.

nunesy, May 7, 9:35am
Ok thanks all - I like the shape of the glasses I have better than ramekins etc which is also why I asked - but will make do with an alternative.Happy to be avoiding exploding glasses and wasted time though :-)

elliehen, May 7, 9:43am
Good choice :)

I also think that aesthetically, a Fruit Cobbler looks better not in glass.It is a cottage-y comfort food dessert, not a tiddly trifle-y thing.

baalamb, May 7, 7:03pm
I know you were wanting see-through, but coffee mugs are great for individual dishes. I used to make Weight Watchers self-saucing puddings in a large mug - made the mistake of making it in a normal sized pudding dish once and couldnt find it in the bottom once it was cooked!

bill241, May 7, 7:23pm
You could cook it and then transfer it to the warmed glass in layers! You'd just have to get creative and non-traditional about how to do it. We have glass serving tube/tumbler type things at school, they're called verrines, but there's no way I'd put them in the oven. Maybe look up verrines on the interweb.

nunesy, May 8, 6:40am
Yup bill241 think I'm gonna go with cooking and transferring.Cos even though it's a comfort-type dessert I still like being able to see it through the glass. also gonna top it with a scoop of icecream so that's another 'layer'.My guest won't mind being experimented on :-)Must keep a lookout for small mason-type jars though, I would like to try the cook-in-a-jar thing.