'Nut Loaf' tins.how do I use them? They are

elsielaurie1, May 5, 3:36am
cylindrical with lids at both ends. I can remember my Mum using them. I think she placed them in boiling water, but how can this be done if both ends come off! or is there another way of using them! I'd love to know.

olwen, May 5, 4:10am
We used to make a loaf in one particular type of baking powder tin.(The lid had sharp edges and wwnt over the tin).From memory the tine was just greased and nearly filled and the lid (which had a hole made with a nail once the baking powder was empty) went on top.I think those nutloaf tins came out about the time those baking powder tins vanished, but I've never used them.They are bigger than the BP tins were.I think you would stand them on end because that's what we did with BP tins.

olwen, May 5, 4:14am

cgvl, May 5, 4:57am
dont over fill them about half way is good. mistake I made and to be honest I'm not sure where mine have disappeared to. Mixture tends to explode at one or both ends with devastating results, so I discovered (blinking pain trying to clean it up too)

maximus44, May 5, 7:05am
I can remember Mum making these.

elsielaurie1, May 5, 7:54am
Thank you ladies- just the kind of information I was looking for. And yes, i can also remember my Mum using a 5lb honey tin, placed in boiling water to make a beautiful moist loaf. But these have both ends with lids. So will try the yummy looking date and walnut one.thank you all so much.:-{}

lilyfield, May 5, 8:03am
good to have lids on either end, its there for easy removal of loaf. You can just push it out, if sticky run a spatula round it first. Just a great design like the flan dishes that had a leaverto run around the flat bottom to loosen the pastry. The days before we had baking paper and baking sprays and tinglide

elsielaurie1, May 5, 8:08am
Thank you for the tip.:-}

boxsters3, May 7, 6:18am
I don’t have a tin and have never made one but the Australian Women’s Weekly ‘Cakes & Slices Cookbook’ has a Nut Rolls section with 6 recipes in it using nut roll tins.

(Maybe you could see if youknow anyone with the book.If you think some the recipes sound interesting.They are;Banana Bran Rolls, Fig and Muesli Rolls, Boston Bread, Moist Apricot Rolls, Date and Walnut Rolls and, Overnight Apricot and Bran Rolls

FYIAt the start of section it has the following tips.

Always grease the insides of the tins and ends.
Dropping the mixture in with a spoon is easiestway to fill them.
Don’t overfill - as a guide they should only belittle over half full.
Stand the tins upright on an oven tray for easier handling.
After cooking remove from the oven and remove top lid (be careful of hot steam) - then test roll with a skewer.If it is cooked , put the lid back on and stand for 10 minutes.(This gives roll time to become firm enough to handle.)

Remove the lids carefully both ends, then shake onto a wire rack to cool down

elsielaurie1, May 7, 8:35am
Thanks so much for all these tips. I have copied and saved them.

indy95, May 8, 3:51am
Elsielaurie, I have that book and I remember posting a couple of the recipes from it for someone quite a while ago. I am searching opshops and secondhand stores looking for nut roll tins with out any success so far but haven't given up yet.

elsielaurie1, May 9, 1:02am
.:-} I've managed to find a few through google.and have yet to experiment. As there's only Hubby and me to enjoy them I have to reign my enthusiasm in as the freezer isn't that big.lol.

pericles, May 9, 1:06am
i still use my old baking powder tin