Pie Melon Jam

maximus44, May 5, 7:04am
Does anyone remember this! My nana used to make it 40+ years ago and I have made it once when I found a pie melon probably 15-20 years ago. Last week a lady brought 2 into the Op Shop where I volunteer. I am now in the process of making melon and ginger jam.

cgvl, May 5, 8:22am
oh yum, it would be at least 20ys since I had any too. My mum got one and did the melon and ginger jam as well.

juliewn, May 5, 9:57am
x2
Yum! - doesn't it taste great with the ginger.

This is from the Edmonds book. with ginger added as below, maybe the same recipe you're making.

4&1/2 lbs pie melon, skinned, pips taken out, and diced thinly
2 oranges or 2 lemons sliced thinly with any pips taken out.
1/2 tsp citric acid
5 lbs sugar.
1&3/4 pints water.

Boil sugar and water together for 10 minutes
Add melon, oranges or lemons, and acid
Boil 1.5 to 2 hours and test, fill hot jars when ready.

Ginger and pie melon jam - when adding the lemons or oranges, add sliced crystallised or fresh ginger

If anyone is between Cambridge and Lake Karapiro in later summer, where there's a green painted cafe, there's a great old-fashioned little shop in a shed on the owners property -they have pie melon's in season. figs now, the best I've tasted,free range eggs, walnuts, wonderful plums from their old trees, etc.etc. There's an honesty box. and I recommend stopping there, to find some fruit and veges that aren't often seen in many places now.

New people took it over a couple of years ago, the previous people started it almost 50 years ago, hence the older types of fruit and veges. I was very happy to see the new owner's have continued with the shop. thanks to them.

auburn4, Jun 7, 10:00am
cgvl, guess what you're getting for Christmas. First pie melon weighs 5.5kg and there are an unknown number still on the plant hiding under large leaves.
Anyone with more recipes please share them. Also can you freeze the melon flesh.