Freezing cheese

bikeman2, Apr 12, 8:59am
random question for everyone. im living by myself and like cheese but try and avoid eating it tooo much (being health concious rardy rady rah) but the rate at which i eat it even with it wrapped in glad wrap in a airtight container it still dries out and gets mould on it, talking about regular mild cheese to in case you are wondering. so question is can i get the block and cut it into smaller pieces and then freeze each piece seperately so i can just have a smaller chunk defrosted to last me for a week! or does cheese not freeze well. thanks in advance

sunshine9, Apr 12, 9:17am
Cheese freezes well :)

ecd_nz, Apr 12, 9:20am
I've never tried it with chunks of cheese, but I freeze grated cheese in ziplock bags and that works fine. I usually use the cheese for cooking, so not sure whether the texture is the same after freezing.

lilyfield, Apr 12, 9:42am
works well freezing the smaller pieces, defrost it slowly in fridge. Or grate and freeze

hotstuff111, Apr 12, 10:01am
try puting the cheese in tin foilit last longer than glad wrap.

cloudberry, Apr 12, 10:02am
It freezes well in smaller pieces but you will find it's a bit crumbly when you thaw it. Grating it then freezing works well too.

bikeman2, Apr 12, 10:32am
cool interesting. thanks for that i shall now go and experiment and see what i come up with. I know i could grate it and freeze it but i like my jam and cheese on toast and grated cheeses just doesn't cut it, needs to be nice thick slices yum yum! and will def try the tinfoil as well. with cheese being so bloody expensive i hate wasting any of it!