Help with home made bread

markshar, Apr 13, 11:52pm
I am trying to make the easy parmeasan bread recip by Jo Seagar and its not rising, it said some where warm for it to sit for half an hour so I have put it in the warming draw as its a cold day and we don't have a hotwater cupboard however its been close to an hour and not grown in size at all. It was a brand new jar of Edmonds(sure to rise ha ha ha) yeast.
Thanks

beaker59, Apr 13, 11:56pm
Give it a bit longer, rising seems to be exponential in my opinion. that means sometimes it starts slowly but then accelerates as time goes by, it will seem to suddenly go for it.

markshar, Apr 13, 11:59pm
ok thanks - ill check it agian soon and let you know how it goes :)

245sam, Apr 14, 12:04am
Another thought.have you left the warming drawer turned on or did you prewarm the warming drawer then turn it off when you put the bread in there!Our warming drawer gets really hot and I would definitely not leave it turned on in case it was so hot that it killed the yeast before it had had a chance to do its thing - even the heat in our warming drawer if it had been on preheating for long would, IMO, be too much for the yeast.:-))

beaker59, Apr 14, 12:04am
Do that I am interested, I also have a stalled bread proving in my kitchen but I know why that is. Its a new Sourdough starter and the temp is a little low for it nearly 12 hours and only about 50% risen it may get there though I suspect I will be baking fairly late tonight. Trouble with being a scientist who cooks is everything is an experiment, some just don't work :)

beaker59, Apr 14, 4:36am
Any luck Markshar I am just starting to knock mine back to knead it.

markshar, Apr 14, 5:37am
Well after a couple of hours it had finally risen.I had it in the warming draw and it was on the whole time.WOndered about the heat but didnt think it was too warm though.It has come out ok, quite a dense bread - probably great with a soup as it is quite heavy just to eat alone.In saying that I have eaten a couple of bits.
Recipe was 5 cups high grade flour, 1 1/2 cups grated parmeasan, 2 1/2 cups warm water, 1 tablesppon yeast, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and a teaspoon salt.Process until its a dough and leave to rise until double the size then bake 15-20 mins.
Not sure I would try it again as its a lot of flour and cheese to waste if it doesn't work.

kiwibubbles, Apr 14, 5:42am
on masterchef last week i think Josh said when proving bread, you can use your oven. I believe he said to warm up oven for 15 mins on 100 degrees (or was it 150!) celsius, turn oven off, then put the dough in oven to prove

kiwibubbles, Apr 14, 5:46am

markshar, Apr 14, 8:12am
That was interesting reading kiwibubbles but turns a quick lunch into a complicated affair - maybe ill stick to scones ha ha ha