What to do with pork mince .

roadie, Apr 14, 10:46pm
Any ideas!Only thing I can think of is burger patties or meat balls, but have no idea what to add - same things as I would to make beef patties! Other than beef stock!Or maybe something else . I have a tin of apple (flat mate left, so using up their items) so could do an apple sauce.

janny3, Apr 14, 10:55pm
Asian meat balls are lovely for those broth soups with noodles and a few greens, soy sauce.Mix in grated ginger, onion, garlic, pepper, egg if you want.Roll them small & boil them in stock/broth for your soup.

If you don't want the soup, you can just boil the meatballs then drain, then dip in egg and deep fry.Reserve the cooking liquor to cook your rice and serve it as a pork balls and delicious flavoured rice dish.I prefer to cook noodles and veg in the stock to serve w/ the pork mince balls.

I see some lasagne recipes online, include pork mince as well.

Making me hungry now.

olwen, Apr 14, 11:14pm
We have made pork meatballs in tom yum soup.Add ginger, garlic, lemongrass or lime zest and maybe fish sauce to the meatballs.A spoonfull or two of rice flour will help bind them.

I've never made it but there is a chinese recipe Pearly Balls where pork meatballs are wrapped with rice then steamed.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/rice/r/pearlballs.htm

missmalice, Apr 14, 11:21pm
Have you got Hoison Sauce!

Gently fry a chopped onion and garlic clove.add mince and cook.
Grate a couple of zuchinnis and carrots and slice some mushrooms, add to the cooked pork mince and when the carrot softens add 2 -3 table spoons of Hoison Sauce, heat through then serve on lettuce - YUM!

karenz, Apr 15, 12:22am
If you just have the pork mince and apple sauce just form the pork mince into small ballls and panfry or make them into patties.I never add eggs or breadcrumbs to my meatballs, but do add herbs and dried onions for extra flavour plus seasonings, though pork is a bit sloppier than mince so maybe just a small amount of breadcrumbs to bind.Almost any herb goes well with pork but tarragon and sage are especially good.Then just make up the apple sauce.

245sam, Apr 15, 12:47am
Meat Balls, Meat Loaf (have a couple of recipes for pork mince that I have used), Meat Patties, Pork Cottage Pie (have a good recipe that I use), Pork Stroganoff.

For more pork recipes, including mince, have a look at:-

http://www.pork.co.nz/Recipes.aspx

jessie981, Apr 15, 1:35am
Used once not long ago in Chinese Rice Risotto & added pineapple near the end.

roadie, Apr 15, 2:06am
Thanks everyone. the flattie who left always used it to make pork dumplings. absolutely melt in the mouth divine .we do have sauces and so on, that he left as well, but I know I can't recreate his yummy food.I could just wait till he gets back into NZ and ask him to come over and make it for us. but was thinking of using it in something for the flat dinner this week.Hmm. the mushroom and zucchini does sound good as well.Wonder if that can work together as a burger patty!

nzkea1, Apr 15, 2:25am
Try San Choy Bao, all that is required is pork mince, water chestnuts, carrot, lettuce leaves, I purchase the Lee Kum Kee Asian Mix and is divine, quick and easy to make.Use an Iceburg lettuce and to crisp the lettuce cups, pop them into iced water and leave in the fridge for an hour ot two Bon Apetite!

fisher, Apr 15, 12:12pm
Home made Spring rolls.Made with spring roll wrappers or filo pastry
Ingredients:
1 gratedpotato.(do last)1/2 cabbage shredded.one carrot julienned.150g pork mince.2 cloves garlic.1 onion finely sliced.
2 tbsp soy sauce.grating of ginger.pinch of five spice . dash of fish sauce.salt and pepper.spring roll wrappers or filo pastry.
Method:
Fry crushed garlic, ginger and onion until tender then add pork mince and cook for further 5 mins. Season with salt, pepper and five spice.
A little fish sauce to taste. Add 1 cup of water or vege stock to meat and mix with and cook potato, carrots and cabbage until just tender.
Set aside until cold.
Put about 2-3tbsp of filling on top of wrapper and roll up tucking in the sides. Seal with little flour / water mix.
Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown ( dont overdo) or place on oiled oven tray and grill at 200c turning when golden brown.
Variations:
(a) Use precooked rice instead of potato.
(b) Add a tsp of curry powder.
Hints:
Make small rolls as finger food entrée or larger rolls for main course .
Soy Sauce or Sweet Chilli Sauce for dipping.

artemis, Apr 15, 11:54pm
Try larb if you like Thai. Fabulous! Easy and quick to make, loads of recipes on the net.