When making Gluten free Bread

wizzbikz, Apr 8, 2:00am
Is Potato starch & potato flour the same

angie461, Apr 8, 4:05am
Yes pretty sure it is.

herika, Apr 8, 7:45pm
Yes angie you are right, they are the same :)

frances1266, Apr 8, 8:50pm
No, they are different

wizzbikz, Apr 9, 2:15am
Why does the top of the bread sink down when I make bread in the bread maker, its a Breville bread maker with Gluten free programs. Have gone to the book with recipes

frances1266, Apr 9, 4:50am
Maybe too much liquid. I use the rapid bake programme for gluten free bread and dont have problems with it.

herika, Apr 9, 11:16pm
I did some reading up on this and although potato starch is sometimes called potato flour they are different.
Heres the info I found:
Potato Starch is a fine, powdery thickener consisting of starch extracted from potatoes. It looks, feels and acts a great deal like cornstarch.
Potato Starch is often called Potato Flour. Don't you confuse the two.
Potato Flour is heavier in weight than Potato Starch;
Potato Flour has a potato flavour to it; Potato Starch has no discernible flavour; Potato Starch can thicken a greater amount of liquid than Potato Flour can; if you try to use Potato Flour instead to thicken an identical amount of liquid, you'd end up with a gloopy mess.
To make matters even more confusing, some people insist on calling this "Potato Starch Flour".
Cooking Tips for Potato Starch
Do not let boil any liquid that you are thickening with Potato Starch.
Apparently Potato Starch can be used for Passover (unlike cornstarch).
Substitutes for Potato Starch
Any starch such as tapioca starch, Arrowroot or cornstarch will pretty much do the same job as Potato Starch and can be substituted on a one for one basis.
Do not substitute Potato Flour; it has a heavier texture and a distinct potato taste.

wizzbikz, Apr 10, 3:33am
WOW thanks for that , Im having problems with making Gluten free bread , Recipe says potato flour but all I can get is potato starch, Bread comes out s--t hollow in centre. all the recipes I have have potato flour? ? ? ? ? ? Must find new recipes

blackx, Apr 10, 5:35am
Hi Wizzbikz:Have you thought about using Coconut Flour in your GF bread? I read online, that it needs an egg to bind it. I also read the Coconut Flour can be purchased or you can make it yourself by blending desiccated coconut until it is a fine flour. Haven't tried it myself, but that I would let you know.

herika, Apr 10, 7:32am
Wheat and Gluten Free Cooking made easy with Horleys tried and tested baking products:3 cups Horley Gluten Free Bread Mix, 1 1/2 tsp yeast, 1 tlbsp milk powder, 1 tsp salt, 2 tlbsp sugar, 3 tlbsp yoghurt, 205m water 1/4 tsp ginger (optional). Put everything into the bread maker and stir until mixed. Set for four hours.

2tsp yeast, 450g Bakels bread mix, 1/4 cup milk powder, 1 tsp guar gum,
2 tlbsp honey, 2 tlbsp butter or margarine, 380ml tepid water. Place all
ingredients into breadmaker bucket (in order dictated by your breadmaker
manual). Bake approx. 4 hours. Remove from breadmaker once cooked
(dont want it to go soft).

In this order put in bread pan: 500 ml tepid water, 50 ml oil, sprinkle over
1 tsp active yeast, 1 tbsp raw sugar, add 500 gm Horleys flour mix (not
bread mix) & 1 tsp salt. My breadmaker has gf cycle, but just checked the
time & it cooks for 2hr31min. About 5 min into first knead, use a spatula
to mix in breadpan. Don't take it out when finished but leave it in
breadmaker to cool down. Mine was in all day cos I put it on before work
(8am) & came home at 2pm.

2 cups lukewarm water
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
1 tlbsp sugar
1 ½ cups potato flour
3 cups rice flour
2 tsps salt
1/3 cup oil
¼ cup extra oil for greasing and glazing

Combine water, yeast and sugar. Allow to stand in warm place for about 10 mins
until froth forms on top.
Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl. Make well in centre and add oil and yeast
mixture. Beat well with wooden spoon.
Pour into well-oiled loaf tin and place in warm place to prove for 20 minutes.
Bake at 220oC for 20 minutes. Reduce to 200oC and bake a further 10-15 mins or
until cooked. Glaze bread with oil during cooking at least twice to help browning.
When cooked glaze again and place under pre heated grill for an extra brown crunchy
crust.
Variation:
Add 1 egg and replace water with milk. 1 Egg, 2 cups milk. Scald milk and allow to
cool to lukewarm. Add egg with oil.

herika, Apr 10, 7:33am
5. 250gm pre mix flour, 200ml water, 1 tsp yeast. Mix in bowl first, pour into breadmaker and set for medium size on the 4 hour setting.

6. Spiced Fruit Loaf
560g Gluten Free Goodies bread mix, 3/4 tsp active dried yeast, 1 1/2tlbsp sugar, 1 1/2tlbsp mixed spice (yes, tablespoons! ), 425ml water at blood heat, 2 tlbsp plus 1 tsp (35ml total) olive oil or other cooking oil, 1 tsp cider vinegar, 3 eggs (from the fridge), 1 cup mixed dried fruit (1/2 cup sultanas, 1/4 cup currants, and 1/4 cup mixed peel). Combine flour yeast, sugar and spice and mix well. Whisk together the eggs, water, vinegar and oil then pour into dry mix. Blend well and place in breadmaker pan. Bake on sweet bread setting, dark crust, adding the fruit when indicated by the beeps on the Breville Bakers Oven or at whatever appropriate interval is suggested for your breadmaker. When cooked remove from pan immediately and wrap in a clean teatowel until cooled. Slice and freeze if not using immediately. Very nice toasted from frozen.

7. For one 1 kg loaf
Empty one 73g pack of GF Goodies Bread Mix into a large bow. The mix should be at room temp. Add 1 level tsp (5ml( dried active yeast. In separate bowl whisk together: 3 size 7 eggs, 1 tsp cider vinegar, 3tlbsp cooking oil, 590ml (2 metric cups plus 6 tlbsp) water. For best results use water between 20-30oC. The warmer the water the more open textured the bread. Too warm and the bread will overflow the pan. Mix wet and dry ingredients thoroughly with a wooden spoon and transfer into the breadmaker pan. Select the standard bake setting for yeast bread and set to dark crust if your machine allows this. The cycle will normally take just over 3 hours.

8. Make up the bread mix first. 4 cups white rice flour, 1 ½ cups potato flour 2/3rd cup tapioca flour(Recipe says it makes 4 loaves)the recipe for one loaf is 2 cups gluten free mix. 2 tbsp sugar 2 tsp xanthan gum 1 tsp salt 1 ½ tsp active dry yeast 1 cup lukewarm milk or milk alternative 2 tbsp oil 2 eggs, or 4 tsp egg replacer and ¼ cup water and 1 tbsp linseeds 1 tsp cider vinegar.
Sift dry ingredients and add yeast Blend milk oil eggs or egg replacer and vinegar. Add to dry ingredients and mix to combine. Press into bread pan. Close the lid and bake following breadmaker instructions for a white loaf(about 3 hours) Cut when cold and freeze in slices unless going to eat. Tastes very similar to ordinary white bread, very soft and spongy and holds together very well - its the best recipe I have come across! I have found it makes a small loaf so the next time I make it I will double the recipe and cook for the same time. Do not double recipe as it overflows pan only use one and a half times the mix for a 1kg loaf.

herika, Apr 10, 7:34am
I have a Panasonic breadmaker and it has a gluten free mode. After much trial and error I found that using the rapid bake mode instead of the gluten free mode was the way to go with GF bread recipes. What I do also is let the yeast form a nice frothy head in a separate bowl first and add it last to the mix of dry ingredients. If you use a GF bread mix (which is an expensive way to go if it only makes one loaf) then you can get good results with the Gluten free mode.

If the top of your loaf is pale at the end of cooking time, with some Breadmakers such as the Breville, it is possible to select an additional ‘bake only’ period. If your breadmaker allows this, 20-25 minutes should brown the top nicely. If not, removing the bread from the pan and finishing the browning in a conventional oven is acceptable.

Do not use the ‘delayed start’ option when making GF bread. To have a fresh loaf ready for breakfast and cut lunches each day make the loaf in the evening so it comes out of the breadmaker just before bedtime. Wrap in a clean towel or teatowel and leave on the bench to cool. It should be in good slicing condition by morning.

Slicing the bread into toast size thickness then freezing it and using straight from freezer is good for cooking in a sandwich press or sandwich maker.

I acquired these recipes from different sources, I havent done any of them myself but hopefully they may be of help to you :)

wizzbikz, Apr 10, 9:02pm
herika thanks for that will try one of the recipes today,

wizzbikz, Apr 11, 6:33am
bread is good herika WOW

herika, Apr 11, 7:53pm
Thats great! which recipe did you use? :)

wizzbikz, Apr 12, 3:55am
No 6, vvvvvvery nicethanks again, carnt wait for recipe book

wizzbikz, Apr 12, 7:23am
just done No7 and mix overflowed onto element in breadmaker. when took out to clean , centre sunk.

herika, Jan 23, 4:54pm
I dont make my own bread so it's really good to get another person's comments on these recipes. Thanks heaps. Maybe you had the mix too warm with the No. 7 recipe? ? ?