Breadmaking - what does the sugar do?

dibble35, Apr 30, 4:23am
If I was to leave it out or lower the amount what effect would it have on my sourdough loaf TIA

macandrosie, Apr 30, 4:25am
think it works with the yeast & tepid water. I have also reduced the sugar to 1/2 tsp insted of 1 tsp, it seems fine

raewyn64, Apr 30, 4:46am
my breadmaker recipe book also says to add milk powder and oil. What is the purpose of both of those!
Thanks very much

lilyfield, Apr 30, 5:24am
sugar is necessary to make the yeast grow. Milk and fat makes the bread tender- more cake like, fluffy. I prefer mine without and never add it(less calories)

raewyn64, Apr 30, 6:13am
thanks very much for that

beaker59, Apr 30, 6:25am
I don't add sugar to mine either, people do though as it accelerates yeast development generally it would be consumed by the yeast so not really add to calories which are huge in sourdough bread anyway.

buzzy110, Apr 30, 6:28am
Like beaker I don't add sugar to my sponge. It is completely unnecessary like I mentioned before. The wild yeast you have grown thrive on the flours that you used to create them. The single strain brewer's yeast used nowadays in breadmaking needs sugar. Wild yeasts do not.

dibble35, Apr 30, 6:42am
thanks for that info buzzy and beaker, i'm looking at maybe trying to go sugar free and still wanted to be able to eat my sourdough bread, at the moment 4 teaspoons sugar per loaf, i'd rather make my bread then buy it. Saying that the bread they reckon is one of the lowest in added sugar was burgen rye. thats rather nice so may have to buy a loafevery now and then, just for something diff.
New starter is going well Buzzy - made 2 loafs on the weekend. Sliced and froze 1 for use during the week, the other got finished today, seemed to sour up as it got older- interesting

cookessentials, Apr 30, 11:14pm
It feeds the yeast.