Using bacon bones for pumpkin soup?

carter441, May 1, 2:45am
x1
Hi There.I was going to use purplegoanna's pumpkin soup recipe (below).But was thinking about putting bacon bones in a slow cooker with water to cover overnight and then stripping the bones and reserving the liquid and then doing the rest of the recipe below (in place of using just normal bacon).What do people think!Or is it a waste of bacon bones!Thoughts.anyone!

"highly recommended.my pumpkin soup recipe. Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup.I use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, peel skin, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out into soup, then serve. Or add 1/2c of coconut cream for extra richness".

vmax2, May 1, 2:55am
Beautiful, and so good for you.Stock made from bones is life giving.

justiyah, May 1, 2:55am
Id use a bacon bone.it would bring out a great flavour.

kinna54, May 1, 2:57am
I often use bacon bones to make stock.gives the best flavour.especially in pumpkin soup, but I usually just boil mine up , leave to set (the fat will come to the top) and then remove any fatand remove the bones to leave a clear jellyfied stock.

I would use that stock in place of your chicken stock tho, not in addition to it.

However it is purplegoanna's recipe, she may have other suggestions.
Enjoy.

ansypansy1, May 3, 12:42am
carter, purplegoannas recipe would be tastier than using a bacon hock that has been cooked in water.

wheelz, May 3, 4:18am
I don't know if I'd agree there, I often make bacon bone soup and find the boiled bones have much more flavor than bacon slices, fried first or not. Something to do with being cooked on the bone. But definitely roast the pumpkin, gives a much nicer fuller taste.

groomingtools, May 3, 6:18am
I use bacon bones for all my soups - I dont like adding salt so dont have to with these.Another tip for All soups - grate a parsnip into them. A flavour enhancer as It brings out the flavour of the main ingredient - the taste you want.You dont get a parsnip taste as it is so sweet

tullyann, Aug 5, 5:04am
Going to try this one tomoro

jimmy2102, Aug 5, 6:12am
It will be yum, ive done it. stephanie alexandra has a recipe using bacon stoch with smoked paprika