Page 1 / 3
mattdylan, Apr 29, 10:54pm
need ideas to have something with soup, no bread thanks

lilyfield, Apr 29, 11:02pm
pizza
herb scones

small meat pies,

ruby19, Apr 29, 11:03pm
You could have a side salad, or did you mean more along the lines of savoury scones!

vmax2, Apr 29, 11:07pm
If it's a good meaty soup with lots of veges, then all that's needed is cream and a sprinkling of grated cheese.That's my favourite for winter.

bounce16, Apr 29, 11:13pm
Crackers like Americans!

+1 scones

picxie, Apr 29, 11:28pm
We often have scones. Quick and easy to make.

Hubby is from Canada and their soup always went with toasties. I think that's odd. We always had soup and toast, OR toasties for tea. Not both!

jessie981, Apr 30, 1:00am
Naam bread warmed either in microwave or I do ours in a drop of oil.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 30, 1:04am
I go with butter. about 25/50g depending on the serving size, just plop it in and stir it through when melted mmmm.

Interesting to 'note' all the bread substitutes that are being suggested which are really just bread in another form.OP wants no Bread lol

vmax2, Apr 30, 1:13am
That sounds good too.Actually I like to put a dollop of sauerkraut on top too.Looks stunning with orange of pumpkin soup and then a dollop of red cabbage sauerkraut.

davidt4, Apr 30, 2:01am
Agreed.Or a splash of high quality extra virgin olive oil, a tangle ofonions fried in butter slowly until dark brown, a spoonful of crème fraîche or mascarpone, freshly grated parmesaon or gruyere, fresh green herbs as available and appropriate.

If the original poster is looking for something crunchy, try some hearts of baby cos lettuce on the side - these are particularly good with meaty soups.

gilligee, Apr 30, 3:05am
I see nothing wrong with toasties with soup, sounds delicious. Why should your previous experiences be the 'right' ones! Our food culture would still be very boring if we had not travelled and picked up other food cultures.

lythande1, Apr 30, 3:26am
Why not just eat the soup, why does it have to have something else!

fruitbat, Apr 30, 3:27am
Rice!

elliehen, Apr 30, 3:45am
Herbed dumplings

petal1955, Apr 30, 4:02am
You always put the damper on things dont you! . alway negative with your comment

karenz, Apr 30, 4:02am
Roast vegetables!Chunky cut potatoes, carrots, kumera, parsnips, zucchini, red capsicum, eggplant and red onions drizzed with olive oil and roasted slowly.

terachaos, Apr 30, 4:10am
oodles of noodles

aasha, Apr 30, 6:15am
loving the pun petal1955 given that damper is another version of bread

fisher, Apr 30, 7:43am
you noticed a bitterness as well :}

I would just make some toastie soldiers with BUTTER and maybe garlic and SALT.all depends on the type of soup.You can buy 'soup rolls" from the supermarket you can lightly toast up and butter. make your own soup rolls.there's not a lot of other things you can have as a side dish with soup.normally dished up as a first course. devoured. and everyone moves on to the next course.

pogram0, Apr 30, 7:48am
I eat those corn thins with soup.Brand is ReadFoods.Similar to rice cakes.

hollis6, Apr 30, 8:00am
Gingernut biscuits.

supercook, Apr 30, 8:29am
pita bread abit lighter and can buy the garlic pita breads

jimmy2102, Apr 30, 8:34am
Cheese toastie

elliehen, Apr 30, 8:36am
Lots of suggestions, but a splash of olive oil or a knob of butter doesn't quite seem to have the appeal of a crust of bread.

jimmy2102, Apr 30, 8:39am
Yup, i agree ellihen, go bread:-)