Feijoa Jam question please

ace441, Apr 28, 11:32am
I am making my first lot of jam ever and am going to do Feijoa - I have looked at a couple of recipes and one says to peel the feijoas and the other says not to peel, just chop of the tops. Has any one tried both ways and which is tastier! Thanks

lilyfield, Apr 28, 11:39am
because Iam basically a very lazy person i always leave the skin on everything possible. Good extra roughage.It will look speckled. Tastes the same

ace441, Apr 28, 8:05pm
Any other opinions please!

goldgurl, Apr 28, 8:15pm
doesn't take too long to peel 1kg of feijoas :)They'll discolour, but they're will either way you do them anyway :)

I made my first ever batch of Feigoa Jam and Jelly a few weeks back and don't know what I did wrong *sigh* but they both came out REALLY thick and sticky as heck, like so sticky that it's really hard to spread lol.more like a soft candy!

Maybe I over boiled them!

lilyfield, Apr 28, 8:25pm
they have an enormous amount of pectin i it and need very little boiling time.

if you have your own and therefore heaps of fruit you can just scoup out the centre , its quicker than peeling.

I would not bother to make jam with only 1 kilo fruit at a time.

ace441, Apr 28, 9:17pm
Thanks everyone - I was going to use the jam setting sugar but I think I'll just use normal so I don't get jelly!- and I'll double the recipe to 3 kg of fruit.

makespacenow, Apr 28, 10:57pm
I cut them in half and scoop them out as i don't like skin.only use the skin on when making chutneys.
Also you can make it sugarfree and will taste just like feijoa . Use bit of lemon juice and petting stock or powder. I posted petting stock recipe earlier search <<<<<<

beaker59, Apr 28, 11:19pm
x1
I have made a couple of batches this year for the first time its very succesful for us and really nice jam.

I just cut the fruit up unpeeled so top and tail cut off any blemishes then quarter and into pot (about 3Kg ish, basically a large pot full) I add 2 green cooking apples (I suspect any apple would do but thats what I have) peeled and diced. then a knob of fresh ginger finely chopped. a splash of water to start it off then simmer for about half an hour until very soft then mash with a potato masher into a soft jam consistency add 2 cups of sugar bring to the boil stirring to disolve the sugar then into the jars.

Its so easy and simple the skins add to the flavour nicely without them the jam has a very subtle flavour almost like stewed apples with a hint of feijoa. With them it tastes like feijoa. I have heard of people on here who do half and half that could be good too.

daleaway, Apr 29, 12:27am
I'm another cut-and-scooper - but of course it depends on the quantity of fruit you have. When you are given loads of them one's conscience has an easier time of it! But then again, feijoa skins make good compost so nothing is wasted.
I do feel it is a pity that here in New Zealand we don't get access to the wide range of ginger products that Buderim make in Oz. To my feijoa jam I always add some packets of the ready-chopped preserved ginger (no sugar crust) that you can buy over there, as the pieces are nice and small and very useful for cake baking also, but I've now run out. Is there a NZ supplier of this anywhere!

goldgurl, Apr 29, 12:48am
Ahhh.see I boiled the heck outta the jam, which I made first.Kept testing for the soft ball stage!Then when I made the jelly, I thought I had it.but the next day it hadn't set :(So I re-boiled it - for ages lol.Both are like soft lollies.like wine gums almost hahaha.

1kg was more than enough for the jam I made, it made 3 jars of Jam, and I'm the only sucker here that will eat it, so will last till next season :)

tehenga288, Apr 29, 6:01am
Don't like the jam with the skins on - so easy to scoop out.

guest, Jan 11, 9:00am
Your post captures the issue pelecftry!

guest, Jan 13, 1:41pm
jennifer-ryderMy mom saw a Mother of the bride dress on this site and we can't find it anywhere onilne. It was under an article posted Mother of the bride dress Tuesday Where I can find out where to find it if it was posted on this site? Please help!

guest, Jan 14, 9:55am
Squid looks so chilidsh! Actually they all look chilidsh. Why can't they're just be a nice pretty flower hat or something! I mean seriously you hsould see my penguin. It's so fancy so i would like a fancy hat!