Gluten Free Flour - Bakels/Orgran/Healtheries

thericecracker, Apr 26, 1:46am
Hi all
Just wanted to see your opinions on the above brands for gluten free flour. Do you prefer one over the other! Which one is more versatile! I want to make cakes, biscuits, pancakes, waffles, batters, etc. but just want to stick to one brand. Thanks :)

frances1266, Apr 26, 2:31am
I cant answer which one of the above is the best gluten free flour but I particularly like GlutenfreeGoodies mix for pancakes etc.It is the best in my opinion.

thericecracker, Apr 26, 4:06am
I have heard many good reviews re GlutenfreeGoodies but it's not so easily available in nearby supermarkets. I find the three I mentioned are almost always available in Countdown supermarkets.

celtica, Apr 26, 5:12am
Healtheries and bakels are good, orgrans, not somuch. Another good one that tops the other 3 by a long shot is Laucke.

seano7, Apr 26, 6:26am
Hi bakels is the best. Orgran and healtheries are just rubbish. Bakels plain flour scones slices biscits just make them as normal. Baking flour bread flour are the same product makes bread and cakes just follow the edmonds recepie and add one extra cup. Pastry flour can also make pasta. all there products have a raising agent in them and apart from the plain flour are soy free and potato free. Either that you can call the goodness of food in carterton for anything els. I own a gf bakery its just gf where everything in my shop is so I know products and I say bakels is the best.

gaspodetwd, Apr 26, 7:14am
Most bought mixes are incredibly expensive. I get great results from Cornflour with an added egg. I only use a bought mix ( orgran) for full rich cakes. I hate the gritty texture of bakels. Healtheries is too 'gummy' for our tastes.
Pancakes, waffles, biscuits and batters are all made just with Cornflour. Works brilliantly and far nicer than a bought mix. Cupcakes - my own recipe - involving an extra egg and a secret ( cheap) ingredient.
Cakes - .orgran.

thericecracker, Apr 26, 8:12am
Oooh will try bakels soon then! I've got orgran in my pantry at the moment and it made really nice brownies the other night. Have tried healtheries but felt it was quite gritty. Thanks for your comments :)

earthangel4, Apr 26, 9:59pm
x1
I use Bakels for everything,the best by far.

nzbadger, Apr 28, 9:25am
x1
Hi have tried lots & I find Bakels best too.

ahaaaaa, Apr 29, 2:57am
My daughter was gluten intolerant for a year. I made my own gf flour mix which I kept in a huge plastic storage box. I got the ingredients from bin inn. I found that the more different grains included in the mix the better the results. It worked out much cheaper. Brown or white rice flour, potato flour, cornflour, tapioca flour. you could add buckwheat but I never stored it in the mix cos it has ashort shelf life, a bit of millet flour and I see you can now get sorghum flour (expensive) but supposedly good for gf bread.

frances1266, Apr 29, 3:01am
Sorghum is also known as Jowar which can be obtained from Indian shops where it is cheaper.

isaac, Oct 30, 1:21am
I've used both frequently and reckon Bakels is the best, Healtheries has a fairly strong flavor that is immediately noticeable, especially in anything cakey, whereas Bakels is indistinguishable from normal flour in taste.