Anzac Biscuits Please

b1b21, Apr 23, 10:00pm
Just made a second batch of Anzac Biscuits. one recipe off the net and the other from the Edmond's cookbook both sad to say fit for the birds, anyone have a recipe where the biscuits turn out moist and chewy not hard balls .

indy95, Apr 23, 10:04pm
B1b21, sorry to hear the biscuits didn't turn out the way you wanted. Perhaps the mixture was a little too dry ! I have bumped a recipe for "chewy" Anzac biscuits foranother poster and you will find it further down the page. I hope you have better luck this time.

lilyfield, Apr 23, 10:11pm
for the birds! Hope you did not throw them out.
all cake and bikkie crumbs are very good added to muesli

b1b21, Apr 23, 10:44pm
Thank you .will retry again tomorrow,thought Anzac Biscuits would be a nice treat for my Hubby he's Canadian and they dont have Anzac Day there.

spotswood, Apr 24, 3:49am
This is the recipe I've just made.they turn out great everytime.It was one that was in the womans Day mag last year.
1 cup coconut,1 cup flour,1 cup rolled oats,1 cup brown sugar. 125grams butter melted in a pot with 1 tbsp golden syrup.1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl,add the butter and syrup,then the soda mix.Blend together and make balls and flatten a bit,depending on what size you want.Bake at 150 for 20 minutes.Cool on a rack.Yum!

daleaway, Apr 24, 3:53am
Anzac biscuits are meant to be hard and dry.

Remember they were made to post. Moist ones would develop mould in the tin while on board boat going to the troops.

frogmaster15, Apr 24, 5:14am
Thanks for the recipe - a batch is in the oven now, will post feedback on how they turn out later

tzahrina, Apr 24, 6:44am
Yes daleaway you are right however they harden over a few days.I like them best moist on the day there made hubby likes them anyway but best after 5 days when there hard and dry.

korbo, Apr 24, 8:20am
just made a batch of pak/save ANZAC biscuits off their web site thingee.
nice an crunchy.
Have to admit, even tho I dont live there and only get them now and then.
Couplands ANZAC biscuits take a lot of beating.

milkybar4, Apr 24, 8:49pm
also the longer you cook them the crunchier/harder they'll be cause the sugar caramalises more and therefore sets harder. just only just cook them if you dont want them hard

rainrain1, Apr 24, 10:53pm
This recipe off Trademe I found to be very good. Ovens vary so if at first you don't succeed.try again.
125gr butter
1 T golden syrup
mix these two ingredients together
Add:-
1 t B Soda dissolved in 2 T boiling water
1 c rolled oats
1 c coconut
1 c sugar
1 c flour
roll into balls and flatten slightly
Bake 175 deg 20-25 minutes for crispy, watch at 20 minutes
They spread a bit on tray, so don't make too big

rainrain1, Apr 24, 11:29pm
re my previous post
mix altogether with your hand till it feels nicely sticky.it doesn't roll easily in the palm of your hands, so manipulate with the tips of your fingers into a ball shape, place on tray lined with baking paper.flatten lightly with fork.
Even though they looked cooked at 20 minutes, that extra 5 minutes makes all the difference if you like 'em crispy

sarahb5, Apr 24, 11:54pm
I've just burnt half of mine but that could be a good thing - will mean I eat less of them!I used the Edmonds recipe but found the mixture very crumbly - I'm sure they'll taste fine though.The recipe in the "normal" Edmonds book has half the amount of sugar as the recipe in the Edmonds Junior book which is probably why mine are a bit crumbly.

supercook, Apr 25, 12:54am
I am going to make the Anzac biscuits on the new chelsea golden syrup tin. Will report back later with the results.

turtlet, Apr 25, 3:11am
I just made these and would recommend them.They are really good.Thanks spotswood.

supercook, Apr 25, 3:19am
Mixture was abit wet so added more coconut and rolled oats. Nice and crunchy.

frogmaster15, Apr 25, 4:58am
Very good recipe thank you 150 degrees is the key. When you make the balls this is what blends the mix together.
Better make a second batch

harrislucinda, Apr 25, 5:02am
havemadetheedmondsrecipebuthaveajustedafewingredsto comeouthowilikethemanddontovercookaswillhardenthebiscuit

alfa28, Apr 25, 5:20am
I didn't have much luck with my ANZAC biscuits today either! Followed the recipe exactly and they're all rock hard and chewy as anything. Got the recipe from the Edmonds book. Maybe next time.!

harrislucinda, Apr 25, 9:20am
rockhardmeansovercookedcooklesstime